1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge shakeup at Newsday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newsdayer, Jul 27, 2006.

1. newsdayer

newsdayer Guest

Huge shakeup in management and beats.
    Bill Eichenberger out as sports editor. Moving to web job at Newsday moving high school content onto web site. Hank Winnicki, No. 1 deputy, named acting sports editor. Otto Strong, former Sunday editor, named No. 1 deputy. Rest of management team in flux.
    Writers: Ken Berger moves from Jets to NBA column. Greg Logan (Knicks) and Alan Hahn (Islanders) switch beats. Barbara Barker becomes chief enterprise writer. Wally Matthews to full-time columnist. Tom Rock, a local/outdoors writer, takes Jets beat.
    Word is one veteran writer will be moved to locals beat after baseball season.

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Will Ray Romano still be writing his column?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's some kinda shakeup. Wow.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Good thing New York-area writers are well-known as a docile, cooperative group who I'm sure will take their beat changes in stride.

5. The Duke

The Duke Member

all high school content on to the web?
    am i reading that right?

that's bold!

6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Wow, who did Eichenberger tick off to become just a Web producer, which is what that sounds like.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

An outdoors writer named Tom Rock.

A fake name if I ever saw one.

8. healingman

healingman Guest

"Good thing New York-area writers are well-known as a docile, cooperative group who I'm sure will take their beat changes in stride."

Yep. This will go over veeeerrryyyyy nicely.

Journalists aren't creatures of habit who like to be moved around, shaken, stirred. No, no.

The sports journalist creature is known as to enjoy a docile environmental lifestyle.

(The above was sarcasm, brought to you by ESPN, "The (ah-hem) Total Sports Network."

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

just to repeat the sentiment:

WOW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

tabloid in a tutu hits 'em hard.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what does the locals writer cover?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

well, Tom Rock used to cover college hoops and lacrosse along with some enterprise local features (he did a great piece on athletes with asthma a few years ago), so I imagine the veteran writer will replace him.

Moving preps to the web is a good idea. Nobody on the Island gives a crap about preps (which may in fact be a matter of Newsday ignoring preps for the last, oh, 50 years). Of course, I'll be very surprised if killing preps results in more pro/collegiate coverage. More than likely, the newshole will just shrink.

Good for Tom, a good guy who deserves a higher profile beat. And has Greg Logan now covered EVERY beat for the paper?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Lots of big stuff there. I'd be curious to know more about the Eichenberger deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted