1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece status?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Landis, an American, wins the Tour de France.

Tiger wins his first major since dad's passing and does it in impressive fashion.

How will you decide what gets the banner headline/art and which one doesn't?

I imagine that having both on the front page of the entire newspaper, not just the sports section, is being discussed right now.

Thoughts?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's a tough day ... you could combine the package somehow ... big U.S. successes, etc. ... but if you're going to do one bigger than the other, my thinking is you strip the Tour with smaller art and do the centerpiece on golf. Because it's Tiger.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oh, and the Tiger art is great.

[​IMG]

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Re: How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece statu

Both are big stories, but I think Tiger is much, much bigger -- golf is a much more popular sport here than cycling and Landis essentially won the Tour yesterday.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Package it. Kill hed: AMERICANS PWN EUROPE.

Lead with Tiger; he's a bigger name.

Hey, at least Danica's well off the pace. Imagine if she were to win today.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'm with Bubba. There are still people who don't think cycling's a sport and, unfortunately, a lot of them read our papers. Tour gets the secondary art with a big head (hehehehmmhehmm), Open Championship gets main package. And I do not envy anyone putting together a front page in NASCAR Country.

7. Claws for Concern

Re: How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece statu

I see your point but I wonder how papers will showcase it in different parts of the country.

In California, both guys are from the Southern California area and I think Landis just might get a little more attention because he's something different. Tiger will still get his respect and it is a big deal, but Landis should get a proper sendoff for his efforts IMO. Tiger will always command headlines.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Even when he's 10 strokes off the lead.

9. jdklamp

jdklamp Member

Landis is a farmboy from Pennsylvania. Not from SoCal.

10. Claws for Concern

I remember having a guy call in and ask us why we ran a photo of Tiger Woods when he wasn't leading the tournament (it was a non-major, not that it matters) a few years back. Before I could answer his question, he added this little item: "How much is the NAACP paying you guys?"

11. Claws for Concern

You're right. I do know he has some ties to the Riverside area though.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Story says he's from San Diego.

Draft saved Draft deleted