1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Copy Editor -- Harrisonburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cristiano_Ronaldo, Jul 20, 2006.

1. From journalismjobs.com

For an entry-level person, I can't imagine a better place to start. PM me with any questions.

2. Who left, I remeber this job from about a year ago.

3. Me too, seems like a lot of the same jobs from last year around this time are popping up again. What's the deal?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yet another paper I was once rejected by. It's like a trip down Failure Lane :)

They at least gave me the time of day, though, which helped me a lot. In fact, I think Chris was the sports editor then too (about eight years ago). Seemed like a nice place to work, even if it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is Dustin Dopirak still there?

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Mike Barber is good people. He, I and Jim McConnell from Fredericksburg had a grand old time one year in Roanoke covering state wrestling. Drinks were, uh, plentiful.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The key question, though, Hus: Were they Yuenglings?

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

We may have started with beer - probably Yuengs - but we escalated to mixed drinks rather quickly. I remember drinking and dancing to "Hot in Herre", but most everything else is a blur. We might have played pool, too.

It all happened at Corned Beef, which I'm sure some of you know.

Without fail, whenever I see McConnell, we always talk about how awesome that night was.

9. You can't go wrong working with Chris Simmons, one of the best guys in the biz. Harrisonburg as a place to live is rather solid. You've got JMU, which always means a steady stream of single women and places to drink. As a young person -- which is what I believe they are looking for -- it's hard to find a better place to start out.

Like I said earlier, I've got good knowledge of the situation, so send over a PM if you've got questions.

10. Jerseykid1982

Jerseykid1982 Member

He's still there. He still covers JMU.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If nothing else, Dustin's good for some interesting tales from his Penn State days.

12. Duton

Duton Member

Like the one where I saved you from being murdered by the women's hockey team? That was a good one.

Just kidding Wicked. Anyway, yeah, I'm still here, so if anyone wants any details on this one, feel free to PM me. Simmons is good people as Ronaldo said, and the whole staff's under 27, so it's a fun crew.

Draft saved Draft deleted