1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yo Jones -- good work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Jul 11, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My copy of Esquire landed inside my rural mailbox today, packed between a sample of Luvs diapers and this month's water bill.

The cover story is on John McCain, and it's a terrific read -- fantastic access, solid writing, humor and depth, all rolled into one.

Some of my favorites:

* Describing Liberty U.'s basketball arena as being "packed to the tits."

* The McCain aside: "No fucking way" to being part of a scripted Purple Heart ceremony for the cameras.

* McCain's reflections on what happened in South Carolina, what happened in Vietnam (brief, but poignant) and that last graf, talking about time healing wounds, etc.

I like good work, and this article fits it.

Fine job, Jones.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Jonesy, I still need you to check with your bosses. I paid for my subscription, got one issue (the Bill Clinton one) and haven't seen one in eight months or whatever.

Thanks.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Has anyone seen Jonesy since he staggered out of MSP?

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well, shucks River, thanks a bunch.

Really, it was a story that would have taken work to fuck up.

I first met McCain in his truck on the way out of the New School commencement, which was a blockbuster start to things but also made for an uncomfortable few minutes. After riding in silence for a little while, I spoke to him about the ground rules for the story, just as an easy distraction. I knew we would have decent access, but I wasn't sure how much, and I wasn't sure how much of it would be considered off the record.

So, I told McCain that if he wanted something to be off the record, that was fine, but he would need to let me know in advance, loudly and clearly, what was on and off.

He just said, "Well, let's make this easy. Everything's on the record."

And then, despite that, I found him to be entirely candid, and I spent a great deal of time with him over the course of several days, sometimes on our own. For instance, on the flight from Washington to Maine on his little private plane, it was just us, side by side, having a beer. No security, no aides. Perfect, uninterrupted access.

Now, I'm a lefto pinko Canadian, and so I disagree with McCain on some significant issues. But he struck me as being honest and decent, and part of me wondered -- not without sadness -- how different things might have been had he bested Bush in 2000. I found it incredible, having seen McCain up close, that more people would have thought Bush would make the better President. Sorta nuts, if you ask me.

I'll be interested to see how 2008 goes for him.

And for those of you who don't like to see a Republican on the cover of Esquire, we've offered Hillary Clinton the same coverage if she promises the same access. You'll know her answer if you see her on the cover -- or if you don't

Anyway, thanks again, River. Nice of you to say.

P.S. IJAG, PM me your address and I'll see if I can get it figured out.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's easy. Whichever house is 1,500 feet away from Brook Jacoby's (per the restraining order).

Draft saved Draft deleted