1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

29 years ago today ... George Brett went BALLISTIC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The A-Rod/Varitek fight was also on this date in 2004.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

And Martin put Don Mattingly at second base.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Had a similar incident happen in high school a few years later (1986 or '87) concerning my team.
    Iowa had a rule stating each bat had to have a line marked such a distance from the handle. It was referred to as the George Brett Rule. Why aluminum bats needed such a line was never explained, but it was rule so we followed it.
    We were losing on the road to a conference rival and their big hitter comes up and belts a homer.
    Our coach had noticed his bat didn't have a line, so he waited until the player did something substantial and protested. The umpire agreed and called the player out. I believe it was also the third out of the inning.
    As I recall, the player and his coach didn't go full George Brett, but they came close.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

By the way, what was the actual penalty listed in the rule book at the time for such an infraction?
    Did the umpire err in calling Brett out (which I doubt), or did the league president overstep is authority (which I believe)?
    It makes no difference if it was a "dumb rule" or not. The rule was in place to be followed.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

IIRC, the actual rule on pine tar on the bat was that if one was discovered in violation of the rules, the bat would be removed, but made no mention on what should happen to the batter.

In one of his books, former umpire Ron Luciano touched on the incident and said the crew made the ruling by stringing together a few rules, mainly (and I'm paraphrasing on these) "a bat with pine tar too far up the handle is an illegal bat" to "a ball hit with an illegal bat is an illegally batted ball" to "a batter who hits an illegally batted ball shall be called out."

6. If Brett and Nettles squared off who'd win? I'd have put my money on Brett.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would put my money on it going to the death, but I wouldn't pick a winner.

Not sure what the source of their hatred is, but I can't think of two guys who were more alike. (Other than Brett's otherworldly hitting, of course.) They could even pass for brothers. Maybe that's why they hated each other.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Provided he could sit down. Oh wait, that was 1980.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If I remember right, at the time the commissioner's office said that calling Brett out wasn't in "the spirit of the rule," with "spirit" meaning "intent." What I took that to mean was that Brett should have been told he shouldn't have been using the bat and that it could no longer be used, but not that he should have been called out, because the rule was put in place to keep the pine tar for ruining too many baseballs.

I also could be entirely wrong.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right. Too much pine tar on the bat gives a hitter no strategic advantage, it just dirties up the baseball.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Niiiiiiiiiice. (nodding appreciatively)

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

well played, sir.
    (although the Hal Mcrae meltdown is one of the most underrated in sports)

Draft saved Draft deleted