1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

29 years ago today ... George Brett went BALLISTIC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The best part of that whole story is right before Brett was called out, he told Frank White, "If they call me out, I'm going to kill someone."

I also heard that Brett's sons used to watch that video repeatedly, laughing every time their dad charged out of the dugout.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved George Brett, easily my fave all-time non-Jays player, and the only picture the missus took of me at the baseball hall was me standing in front of the exhibit with the pine tar bat.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

As a Graig Nettles fan, I love the fact that he was the one who spotted the pine tar going too far up the bat and mentioned it to Billy Martin who found just the right time to use it.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And Tim McClelland is still umping.

I believe they changed the rule so you have to protest before the at bat begins, correct?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"The pine tar goes on the ball, George."

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If I ever get old and cranky enough that the Pine Tar Incident doesn't make me smile, just put me down.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Brett was my favorite player as a kid. I was in South Carolina with my grandparents and I don't remember if we were watching the game live or if they broke away from another game, but I remember being so pissed when it happened.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As much as I hated the Yankees ending up losing, I've got to admit, it may be the best rhubarb in baseball history.

And I still remember watching the last few outs of the game, which took place nearly two months later. Maybe 1,000 people showed up for about 10 minutes of action. And Guidry was put in the outfield.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

George Brett would shit his pants if he realized how long ago that happened.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is probably my first vivid memory of a baseball controversy. I first got hooked on the game during the Braves-Dodgers 1982 pennant race, but the 1983 season was the first one that I followed from start to finish.

Brett and Nettles had a long history of hating each other. They got into a fight in the first inning of Game 5 of the 1977 ALCS when Brett slid hard into third (and neither player was ejected).

And yeah, it's pretty amazing that McClelland is still behind the plate after all these years.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Forever immortalized by ... The Baseball Bunch!

Draft saved Draft deleted