1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

29 dead in W.Va. mine explosion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Apr 5, 2010.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Re: 25 dead in W.Va. mine explosion

I heard about this as I was leaving the house this morning. How awful for those families. My prayers are with them.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I read a really good book about the life of coal mining families and communities and just all the things that miners go through and how tight those communities are because the potential for this kind of stuff.

What a horrific tragedy, just terrible.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Coal mine had 600 violations in a year in a half. No, that is not a typo.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36202623/ns/us_news-life

This mine owner needs to see some serious jail time.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

And apparently money won't get his attention, since he has enough cash to buy a state Supreme Court justice.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wow. I wish John L. Lewis were around to kick those Massey assholes right in their private parts.

6. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

This is what happens when mine companies like Massey and others forced unions out of most mines. Not as safe work environments, etc.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I actually got an e-mail press release propping the CEO. I wish I had saved it.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not a pro-union guy but this is an industry that absolutely needs the strongest one that can possibly be created.

9. Re: 25 dead in W.Va. mine explosion

How 'bout NO!

The coal industry has one - the UMWA.
    It was the most powerful union in the state - in many states - for several decades (1940s-1970s) until the mechanization of mining continued to reduce the need for miners.
    The UMWA (last I checked had less than 25k members) still has a presence in the WV coalfields, but it's power and influence has dropped off, largely because there just aren't as many miners.*
    And because it is no longer seen as a good union. The UMWA is no better than UAW.

There are still many union mine outfits in the state, but Massey is not one of them.
    I don't think a stronger union ins the answer ... There is a HUGE need for mine inspectors, but the pay sucks - even worse the reporters. Inspectors start out at $25K a year. There also needs to be tougher penalties for violations and disregarding OSHA regs, but southern W.Va politicans aren't going to do that - not when their campaigns are funded by men like Don Blankenship.

The teachers now have the most powerful and influential unions in the state.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This story sickens and saddens me.

I have one question for Blankenship: would you work a shift in one of your own mines?

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Yeah, somehow I doubt we'll see Don Blankenship on Undercover Boss.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know where it's available, maybe Netflix, but Morgan Spurlock's 30 Days on coal mining from a few years ago was fantastic. He pretty much outlined the deal. If you want to be middle class in West Virginia there aren't many options other than working in the mines. The mine owners own the state government and probably a good chunk of the federal government as well.
    You want to shut down mines that have safety problems? You're putting a ton of people and the business that rely on them out of work.
    I've got to believe that more should and will be done to make the industry safer, but you wonder how many mine deaths it will take to get people to take action.
    Too bad there aren't any coal mines in New York City - I'm sure Jack McCoy would go after Blankenship, the ceo sounds like a miserable human being.

Draft saved Draft deleted