1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

29 dead in W.Va. mine explosion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Terrible news out of southern West Virginia, and another reminder of how dangerous coal mining is:

MONTCOAL, W.Va. — Six miners were killed and at least 21 unaccounted for Monday in an explosion at an underground coal mine, the state mining director said.

Ron Wooten said the blast was reported around 3 p.m. at Massey Energy Co.'s Upper Big Branch mine in Raleigh County, about 30 miles south of Charleston. The company did not provide details on the extent of the damage or if other miners had been rescued. A Boone County ambulance dispatcher also said he has the same number of fatalities and missing miners.

The mine is operated by Massey subsidiary Performance Coal Co. It has caches of extra oxygen along emergency escape routes and airtight refuge chambers designed to provide enough air to keep miners alive for four days if they can't make their way out, according to Randy Harris, an engineering consultant who oversees installation of high-tech gear.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jxHCZsRXECQX1EL9i-AakghyY9XwD9ET6QDG0

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Re: Six dead, at least 21 missing in W.Va. mine explosion

CNN now reporting 12 dead.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If the company name sounds familiar, it should. From CNN.com

4. KP

KP Active Member

Only getting worse at 25 confirmed dead and four missing.

http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=77876

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

This is absolutely horrible. Massey, which from my experience covering the coal industry doesn't give two shits about safety, is a collection of assholes.

And as a WVU grad, I have to say, because of the gravity of this situation, I'm actually glad WVU lost to Duke in the Final Four. Because, after the play-by-play was piped into the mines, I simply can't imagine my beloved alma mater playing a seemingly important basketball game tonight with this tragic situation playing out. The parallels just hit SO close to home -- given Sago and the '06 Sugar Bowl.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

An editorial in the Washington Examiner last September by Don Blankenship, CEO of Massey Energy. An excerpt:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/OpEd-Contributor/America-faces-a-reg-cession_-not-a-recession-8264587-59805647.html

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here is Don Blankenship attacking an ABC reporter:

#

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Re: 25 dead in W.Va. mine explosion

Apparently, Massey hasn't spoken to or given any information to some (all?) of the families. How horrible. No one from Massey is at the press conference the governor is holding right now.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Death penalties for CEOs. I support it.

10. Re: 25 dead in W.Va. mine explosion

That is probably the Gov.'s doing.
    For whatever reason, he feels the need to be THE spokesperson on the crisis, which I have a problem with.
    I don't want a politician being the official face and speaker of these things. Give me someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about.

Remember Sago?

He pulled this shit at Sago ... even went to far as to tell the families of the missing men they had been rescued, only to later have tell them he was misinformed and they were all dead.

11. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

The leaders of this company need to go down, and go down hard.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's unreal the lengths they'll go to in order to get their way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caperton_v._A.T._Massey_Coal_Co.

Draft saved Draft deleted