1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When he does good... II

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I have found myself more often than not, recoiling from reading Bill Simmons' stuff by the third paragraph.

But the latest column he wrote.... Just sublime. As good as analysis can get.

A columnist who gets it.... well, at least one sport.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060620

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He HAD to insert the Red Sox.

Like ESPN, he's confused about the 90%+ of the country that doesn't care if the BoSox live or die.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

How could anyone possibly read all of that?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I have ZERO use for the guy . . . and considering it was him, I give it an A-.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

If it's not Vegas, Rounders, watching Rounders while in Vegas, or the BoSox, Simmons is utterly useless.

6. And considering that, outside of DW, the difference in the series has been that the Heat bench is outplaying the Dallas bench, which was supposed to be better, he sort of misses the point in the first third of the piece.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Danny Tartabull? Quality. :D

What about watching Rounders in Vegas on one TV while watching the Red Sox 2004 championship video on another set?

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Well, that would be a tough decision, considering that he can only beat off once at a time.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's what happens if Miami wins the title: New Jersey will say to themselves, "Hey, maybe this could happen to us with Vince Carter";

I guess Shit for brains Simmons was too busy watching the Red Sox to have seen the Nets try this against the Heat in the Eastern semis and fail miserably.

That was as far as I read. If your basic premise is that far off that early in the column, the rest has to be shit.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted