1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Len Bias — 20 years later

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What a tragic, tragic story, and the passage of time doesn't make it any less so.

My favorite memory of Bias was when he inbounded a ball under his own basket off a player's back and made an easy basket to ice a win. I think it was during the ACC tourney, but I'm hazy on the details.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not the biggest Simmons fan (who on this thread is), but I've always liked his Bias piece a few years back.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1216986

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was out riding my bike or something (hey, it WAS 20 years ago) and I came home and my mom said "Your father called and said some NBA draft pick died of a drug overdose."

I said a name--can't remember who it was, but it wasn't Bias--and she said "Yeah, him."

Then I put on the TV and it was Len Bias.

Can you imagine the dynasty the Celts might have had if Bias and Reggie Lewis had stayed alive? Wow.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, they might have supplanted the Knicks or Pacers as the team that lost the Eastern Conference finals to the Bulls or Pistons every year. But that's about as far as their dynasty likely would have gone.

I'll always remember Red Auerbach's feigned disgust when a reporter asked the "inappropriate" question of whether the Celtics would petition the NBA for another draft pick to replace Bias.

A while later . . . the Celtics petitioned the NBA for another draft pick to replace Bias. And were denied.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Like BYH, I don't remember Bias. (must have been collecting Garbage Pail Kids)

How good was this guy?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really fucking good. Woulda won some MVPs good. That good.
    Maybe that's just me, others I'm sure will disagree.

All-NBA good at the minimum.

7. BTExpress

Maybe.

But that entire draft was loaded with problem players who weren't anything near what they were projected to be . . . or who contributed to their own demise.

Some of the top 16

Chris Washburn
    Kenny Walker
    William Bedford
    Roy Tarpley
    Brad Sellers
    Johnny Dawkins
    John Salley
    Hot Plate Williams
    Pearl Washington
    Walter Berry
    Mo Martin

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was going to say you can't assume Bias wouldn't have done anything because of the other guys drafted with him, but then again, none of those guys OD'd and died.

I think we can agree the 1986 draft was not the proudest moment for the NCAA.

9. BTExpress

Not for lack of trying.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

No kidding.

Pearl Washington's had health problems, right? I want to say a brain tumor or a blood clot.

11. BTExpress

He had a benign brain tumor in the mid-90s but overcame that, I believe.

Haven't heard anything else about him in years.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not making this up! I vaguely remember hearing he was UPS driver after basketball, but I don't know if it is/was true.

Draft saved Draft deleted