1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawaii

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm on a vacation in Hawaii. On a whim, wife and I decide to check into some realtor sites to see what property really costs here. She's a teacher, and we came to the conclusion that it would be, in every way, impossible for us to live here. The property is too expensive and condos too expensive.

This brings to mind two questions: How do the folks at the various Hawaii papers live here? There's no way those papers pay enough to allow that. Are they all married to doctors? Second, how do the people who do the menial work around here live - the cab drivers, hotel maids, etc?

My wife and I could have, at best according to the sites we saw, bought an 800-square foot condo for $50,000 more than our current 1,800-square foot house in the midwest.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

My former company owns one of the papers down there. Can't remember which one, though. Would probably be under the Black Press umbrella. Last I heard they had almost run it into the ground.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

If I moved to Hawaii, I wouldn't be spending too much time indoors. So a studio apartment would probably do me just fine. ;D

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Magnum always seemed to do pretty well.

5. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

The fact that you're married probably makes it nearly impossible.
    I was in Maui for Christmas/New Year's 2003. At every place we ate, we would get to talking with the waiter/waitress. Usually, they were from the Mainland and were working there for a year. They said, in Maui for example, they lived near the airport (other side of the island from Kapalua, Kannapali, etc) and basically lived 5-6 to an condo.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A good map always helps

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ask 'em...

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=453546

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

My bro-in-law has been on Oahu for more than 10 years. He lives in a 2-bdrm condo, we stayed with him for a week a few years back, no gripes.
    The most beautiful place on earth.
    But they don't call it the paradise tax for nothing.
    If you ever go to Molokai, check out this guy for snorkeling.
    [​IMG]

9. joe

joe Active Member

Got offered a job in Hawaii a few months back. Between salary, mileage (yes, mileage for a copy editor/designer) and something else, it worked out to about $56,000 a year. And I would have been taking home less after expenses than when I worked in SoCal for a lot less per year.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd go for an extra ounce of accuracy.

Draft saved Draft deleted