1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

28 years ago today-remembering Munson

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 2, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Everyone except Reggie. I often thought Munson was a redneck and a racist at heart. There may be some truth to that. In that era, many black athletes began speaking out, Reggie was one of them. Munson didn't like that.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

And yet my memory of the day is Reggie shaking (with tears presumably) in the outfield as the ovation went on and on and on.........

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, after '78, if memory serves, reggie and thurman were at least okay. casty? spnited? ??? ??? ???

4. boots

boots New Member

Reggie didn't HATE Thurman.

5. boots

boots New Member

In my opinion, I don't think Reggie hated Munson. He might not have liked his ways, but he didn't hate him. Reggie has always been about himself and winning, pretty much in that order.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Jerry Narron. That's right.

For some reason I always remember it being Brad Gulden.

I was 9 at the time and hated the Yankees then and I do now. And I hated Munson when he was alive. But when my dad called me into his room in the morning to tell me that something very sad had happened in the world of baseball and told me what it was, I was blown away. Even more so when my brother and I were watching TV that afternoon and the newsflash showed a picture of Munson and with the graphic "1947-1979."

7. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

During that incredibly long standing ovation that night, up in the press box Red Foley of the NY Daily News says to Phil Pepe, I believe:

"I imagine Thurman up there in heaven now, talking to all the angels and saints ... except, of course, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John."

They were writers, you see. Thurman built an image of not talking to writers, but sometimes that was just an act. Phil told me of a time Munson called him at the office and somebody else answered.

"Daily News Sports."

"Phil Pepe, please."

"He's on the phone. Who can I tell him is calling?"

"What (I believe there was a bleep here) business is it of yours who's calling? Just get him on the (another bleep here, too) phone!"

(phone is handed to Phil)

"Phil Pepe."

"Hiya, Phil, Thurm."

"Geez, what did you say to the guy who answered the phone?"

"Aww, have to keep up the reputation, don't I?"

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Cool story Pete. That is why I like this site, getting to hear stories from the old-timers.

Draft saved Draft deleted