1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

28 years ago today-remembering Munson

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 2, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No, he went as far as the Poughkeepsie Giants in the 40s and 50s. He played against Don Drysdale, Nellie Fox, among others and broke eight different fingers behind the dish.

He's got some great stories: His team was playing Drysdale and some dude launched a ball out of the park and watched it a little bit. My grandpa stepped to the plate, and all he heard was Drysdale yelling, "Boy, you better duck." Sure enough, the next pitch was at my grandpa's head. He made sure to duck.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

YES network is replayng the game from the night of Munson's funeral on Monday night.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This is the first time I miss not getting the YES network.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was 11 and vividly remember sitting at our dining room table and hearing the news. I can still see the wooden console TV and the red carpet we had at the time. Devastating news.

A few months later, at my best friend's 12th birthday slumber party, we had a Thurman Munson seance and my best friend very convincingly pretended to be Thurman speaking to us from the beyond. We had a creepy Thurman Munson chant. It sounds so tasteless now,but we were pre-teen girls.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So that's what girls do at slumber parties.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dyno, I think you and I have been through this before. I was 11. First time I remember crying over something not related to my mom telling me I couldn't have something. I remember sitting on my dad's bed watching news reports shell shocked. He was my favorite player. And Jones, yup, Jerry Narron.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

We were weird. That was the last year the popular girls were friends with us.

Girls that age now are probably trading sex tips.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This is where ESPN Classic is dropping the ball. They should be showing this game, not a bunch of X Games and poker reruns.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what you are talking about. I was president of the He-Man Woman Haters Club. Thurmon Munson surely would have approved.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Or lessons learned in pre-natal care.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was 10. Cried like a baby. Favorite player. It wa my brother's birthday, so I always remember it -- and to call my brother.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was covering an American Legion baseball regional tournament. They had a moment of silence before that night's games.

Draft saved Draft deleted