1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

27 Dresses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

A confession, first:
    I know most men hate romantic comedies. I am not one of those men. I grew up on the genre, watching Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Tony Randall, Debbie Reynolds, Tony Curtis, etc. I like the best of the genre (Tootsie). I like what many perceive to be the worst (Serendipity, How To Lose A Guy ...)
    So that's the baggage I took in to see 27 Dresses. My wife wanted to see it, and she wasn't in a great mood, so I figured it was not the day to watch Sweeney Todd or There Will Be Blood. I figured I could get through it because of Katherine Heigl's appeal and because an OK romantic comedy is always OK with me.
    And it still reeked. I can't remember a movie that was more uncomfortable to watch. Sets up OK with a nice two-weddings-in-the-same-day intro, and the devolves into discomfort, lack of logic, formula and lack of chemistry. One of the 10 worst movies I can remember seeing in a theater.
    You've been warned.
    If you think you can get through it ... you can't.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're kidding.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You're a good husband, Twob.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was just stunned that it did as well at the box office as it did...

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Back when I had a girlfriend, I had to watch How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days. That movie was almost enough to end a relationship. I don't mind romantic comedies, but that one blew donkey.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Guess you won't be seeing "He's Just Not Into You" when it comes out...

I went to see 27 Dresses and have a different opinion. At first I was skeptical about the film because for one thing I am not a Katherine Heigl fan but also I thought it would be boring and stupid.

Went to the movie and thought it was funny and witty.

James Marsden, in my humble opinion, stole the movie with his protrayal of cranky and persistent Malcolm (Kevin) Doyle.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll take Jason Marsden over James Marsden any day.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Believe me, since much of this movie was shot in Rhode Island, I've been subjected to more hype about it than most folk (and it was really depressing to hear that Providence's goth haven Club Hell, which was the Rocket and Club Baby Head in my clubgoing days and where I saw many a memorable show, was converted into a swanky New York restaurant for the shoot).
    She was all right in "Knocked Up," but there's just something about Katherine Heigl that turns me off (maybe her kvetching about "Gray's" castmates or her whining about how sexist "Knocked Up" was - jeez, Kath, why didn't you let someone else have the part then?).

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread gets more shocking by the post. A guy hated this movie and a girl liked it.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

And that's why you are the "Predictor"

Draft saved Draft deleted