1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$27,000 for a........

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 9, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They do 50 bottles of these a year. They actually had a one-time 55-year old bottle named after the distilleries granddaughter for which they did 11 bottles last year. I saw one auctioned off for around $90,000, I believe.

I am sure it is amazing scotch. But there is no scotch -- and I love a good single malt (although not big on Glenfiddich usually) -- worth that kind of scratch.

2. joe

joe Active Member

I'd rather spend $45 on a nice 12-year-old bottle of The Macallan. And have $26,955 left over for the hookers and coke.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I am open for suggestions on favorite affordable or semi-affordable whiskeys since I have not tried but a few whiskeys.

It seems like Evan Williams bourbon is the best cheap whiskey I have had. Among more expensive labels, I also tried Famous Grouse, which is pretty good and well spiced, and once had a glass of J. Walker Green Label, which is the best and most expensive I have ever tried. Incredibly smooth and rich.

The worst "whiskey" I ever tasted was Yukon Jack. Which I think is mostly isopropyl and caramel color. It even smelled rancid. Avoid at all costs.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's the most expensive drink you've ever had?

I had a $100 glass of scotch at a wedding. It tasted fine, but they could have given me something from the grocery store and I probably wouldn't have known the difference.

A friend of mine got a $2,000 bottle of wine as a gift from an overseas client. My wife and I shared the bottle with him and his wife. It was pretty great. If someone offered me the same bottle for $100, I would pass...

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

For regular price-range consumer bourbon, you've got to go with the Wild Turkey 101. It's the best quality to price ratio you can get.
    Wild Turkey 80 is not as good. Too sweet and too much vanilla. The extra heat of the higher proof burns off some of the sweetness and opens it up beyon just the vanilla niotes that come through at 80 proof.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a bourbon drinker, and I don't like Wild Turkey that much, but this is the way I feel about Jameson's -- the regular, 12 year old. There are a number of whiskies I'd choose over it if you are paying, but for price to drinkability ratio, I drink Jameson's a lot.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Being of 100 percent Irish extraction and coming from a Catholic family, I love Jameson's. I grew up drinking it.
    Nowadays I drink it rarely. Bourbon is my hootch of choice for the past 20-plus years.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs. W loves Armagnac. On our honeymoon, at the best and most expensive meal that I ever had, they offered a glass from which was about $150. It was about 90 years old at the time. She thought it was great, while I thought it tasted as aful as any other.

I've had a few of the California cult wines at work events -- Harlan Estates and Screaming Eagle are the names I remember. Retail about $1,000. And while I like Napa and Sonoma reds, I thought that they were fantastic, but not appreciably better than a wine costing $50 or certainly $100.

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Thank you all for the responses, I now have a few new things to try.

Most expensive drinks I've ever had have generally been shared bottles of wine in the thee figures. I enjoy wine but honestly my palate can't tell the difference between a 90 and a 99.

Draft saved Draft deleted