1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$2500 Car

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 10, 2008.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Might as well take that $1,000 and buy a good guitar.

And that car is the Yugo for the 21st century.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A $1000 car ain't gonna roll,
    Until you throw at least another thousand in the hole.
    Sink your money in it, and there you are,
    The owner of a $2000, $1000 dollar car.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

That thing makes a Yugo look like a BMW.

I'd think the iPod Nano has more power.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

A Civic would crush it like a soda can.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That car looks exactly like the SmartCar that is selling in Europe. They were supposed to release a model like that here. I believe it may come out next year.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

And just because I wanted to make sure and look it up...
    The AutoChannel.com has a 2006 article saying that the Smart Car is coming to the US in 2008.

[​IMG]

It is made by Mercedes.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I heard those Smart Cars are mighty uncomfortable. You feel like you're actually wearing the car.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Outside of an automotive reporter or European expat, who could make the comment? I've seen plenty of them around Switzerland and Germany, including those driving from one to the other, and it didn't seem like there was anything uncomfortable about it and that is for ride that takes several hours.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's cheaper and safer than a motorcycle.

Top speed isn't much . . . but if every car had that top speed, I wonder how many thousands of lives would be saved.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Perhaps someone in the U.S. or Canada who owns one -- they've been officially sold in Canada for awhile, and there are many companies that have privately imported the old model.

I haven't been in one, but from everything I've read the Smart is quite comfortable for two -- it has space comparable to a "normal" car.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A friend of mine is a writer and she was invited to an expo to try it out. She drove the thing and felt it was very uncomfortable.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Anybody seen anything about safety ratings on these things? I've been looking around since finding the initial article, but I haven't seen ratings yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted