1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$250 fee for electricity use? !!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 4, 2014.

1. From on one of my sports writing buddies:

Seems a little steep. This has to be for radio, TV and streaming video, right?
    Although it is not specified.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has to be a typo.

$2.50 is steep.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like some convention centers.

If there's not normally electricity where they're putting the press, they might have to run an outlet to you, and that might mean a union electrician.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's complete BS no matter how it's sliced. Electrical service should be expected. They will already have the electrical run for the scorers table. Chances are they already have an outlet in the floor already.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Would someone really build a 7,000-seat arena that couldn't handle basic electricity demands? What do they do if there's ever a concert?

Sounds like a money grab.

6. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I'd tell that guy to tell his editor about it. A good editor will certainly get on the case of the association and the arena manager about it. Heck, I can certainly see a few publishers giving those folks an earful -- especially if you tell the publisher you plan to claim that as a work-related expense.

7. He said they are charging $10 for water. Perrier water.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Go straight to the publisher and tell him to go straight to the HSAA and pitch a world-class bitch.

Covering the game: Go to the game with such equipment as you can hold in your hand (tape recorder, cell phone, notebook). Use these to gather quotes only and shoot video.

Immediately after the game, live-post a 2-3 graf summary of the game and a couple raw video clips from your phone.

Demand that the HSAA email you a box score and PBP within 10 minutes of the end of the game. Return to your hotel room/office and write the 1st-lead gamer off of that.

Tell them to shove that shit right up their oozing assholes. Take a water bottle of your own to the game; if they attempt to take it, begin shouting at the top of your lungs that you require the water for medical reasons (Mr. Pub can probably get a doctor [or you can probably get yours] to write you a note that going without water for several hours can be medically deleterious). Force them to call the cops to drag you out.

Be sure to bring plenty of change for the pay toilets ($5 entry, $10 egress fee) and TP dispensers ($1 per square).

9. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Sportswriter to bathroom attendant: "I need two TP squares, but I only have one dollar bill. Wait, I know! (pause) Now I need only one square, but you'd better only grab this dollar by the corner."

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

This sounds logical. Anything dealing with union is going to be STEEP.

Does anybody remember what they last paid when you had to buy a phone line in a press box. My memory is it wasn't cheap.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It can handle the electricity demands.

We're talking about an arena and expo center run by SMG: http://eastkyexpo.com/

That's how it works in a convention center. A union electrician runs an outlet for every event.

And, of course it's a money grab. They've just rented the building. Everything else is extra.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

$250 doesn't smell right.

Draft saved Draft deleted