1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 Years Ago Today....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the "anniversary story," the laziest, most unimaginative, regurgitative staple of our industry.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Much like a Starman post.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

And McClellan even had the bat in his hands. If a grizzly had charged onto the field at that moment in time, it would've been an even fight.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If were the 13th or 22nd anniversary, I might agree. But 25 years is a good time to revisit that.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Were the players Gaylord Perry, Hal MacRae and Steve Renko?

6. But a baseball card can!

[​IMG]

One of my all-time favorite cards.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just another game where Brett killed Gossage.

Trivia: The bat got handed out of the Yankee bus and later found its way into the possession of noted collector Barry Halper.

Who can name the defensive line-up Billy Martin used for the replay of the ninth inning?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not this one. Not with Goose joining Brett in the HOF in three days.

Edit: Goalmouth, I believe Martin's "lineup" in the replay included Mattingly at 2B and Ron Guidry in CF. And George Brett, I believe, had a nice dinner in Jersey as the final outs were recorded for a second time.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yeah you right. And Starman, this story is all over the sports media today.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Brett's comments harken back to a different time too, about how he never talked to Gossage until after they retired.

You could tell by the way they played that the Royals and Yankees didn't like each other. It added to the spice that they REALLY didn't like each other. Nettles and Brett beat the shit out each other in the playoffs, on national tv (I'm guessing), and weren't ejected. A different time indeed.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I remember Guidry was in centrefield.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

I remember watching that on TV. The catcher was Rick Cerone, a Jersey and Seton Hall guy.

I remember watching the continued game, and Martin appealed that Brett missed the bases. There was a different crew. The umpires must have been tipped off, because the umpire (I think it was Dave Phillips) had a notarized statement saying Brett had touched all of the bases.

The Yankees would have been better off if they hadn't appealed and the Royals had won. During the period between the original game and the continued game because of the protest, I think the Yanks lost about 2/3 of the games and played themselves out of the pennant race.

Draft saved Draft deleted