1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 years ago today - one man died so a boy could live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Jun 29, 2008.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/683794.html

Kansas City running back Joe Delaney died trying to save three boys from drowning despite not being able to swim himself.

This is a great, yet heart-wrenching, story. Delaney - who was on track to be a great NFL running back - left behind a wife and three kids. Amazing that his wife never considered remarrying and all three daughters graduated.

But what really grabbed me was the sole survivor became a criminal. He says he's on the right road now. I really hope he is. Most people don't get a second shot at living. He did.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap. Twenty-five years? Remember it like it was yesterday. Heard about it while I was--no lie--swimming. My mom or dad told me.

SportsCenter did a pretty good piece on Delaney and I remember the survivor having a long criminal record. As you noted, I hope he finally gets his stuff together.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not to blow Kent Babb or anything, but this was a hell of a story.
    One of the things that impressed me is that Kent was all of 1 when this happened. Yet, he researched the hell out it, got the good interviews and wrote it as if he wasn't shitting his diapers when Delaney jumped in that lake.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That was a hell of a story.

One thing I never understood was why the Chiefs took so long to honor Delaney.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I remember being glued to the TV when they reported his death. And I may be the only one, but I knew exactly what this was about as soon as I read the thread title.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You aren't the only one. Like BYH said, it's amazing to think it's been 25 years.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was overseas when I heard this one, and during that time, going to one of pools on-base was a regular occurrence for me.

Sad, sad story but so good to hear that Joe Delaney's immediate family carried on with the strength it did. That says even more about Joe.

8. I'll click on this link when I'm not in such a good mood.

Not that anyone has, but you can't truly blame the lone survivor for going bad. Survivor's guilt is such a terrible thing to deal with.

I once interviewed a holocaust survivor who basically said he was a horrible person until he was in his 40s. He was like 5 when he was in the concentration camps and just a little bit older when a rescuing soldier gave him a sip of alcohol. He said that's the only thing that made the pain go away for the next 40 years of his life.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

There's something called the "halo effect" that can keep surviving spouses from seeing anyone else as measuring up. Not to mention that it would take a healthy ego to think you could step in for a pro player who died a hero.

(Apologies, king, if you were speaking sarcastically).

10. Which reminds me of a pretty funny stand-up act about marrying MLK's widow. Paraphrasing: "My first husband was arrested and martyred while fighting for civil rights ... You can't even remember to leave the toilet seat down."

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Nope, me too.

Tremendous Deford story in SI not long afterward:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1121456/index.htm

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

The word is thrown around way too much -- especially when it comes to our toy-store world -- but Joe Delaney is a true definition of a hero.

Giving his life to save a child... it's so damn dusty in here!

Draft saved Draft deleted