1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 year ago today ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Here's the thing. Westhead would take them anywhere to whoever would give them a game. @LSU..@ Arkansas.......He didn't care. He wanted to get that team as many high profile games as he could.
    I wish more teams would play like that. Not this secondary break stuff. Get 5 guys out there from 6-3 to 6-9 that can shoot. And let them shoot.
    But make no point about it. Their press was a bitch to break. Now if you broke it, you could pull up for a 3 on 1 3, or make one more pass and get a dunk off a
    lob. But they were going to make you work at it. Then, if they did score, run like hell to a spot 25 feet from the basket, and let it go.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is what bugs me about the "play the right way" stick-up-asses who coach sludgeball and act like a 90-80 final score is some kind of affront to morality and decency.

They usually go straight to, "Do you want everybody to play like Loyola Marymount or UNLV?" And the answer is "No, but it would be nice if SOME teams would." Instead we get 52-49 walk-it-up sludgeball.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The LSU-LMU game was on ESPN Classic a few weeks back. It was awesome. And shows how far in the gutter college basketball has gone.

The Gathers collapse/death is etched in my memory as one of several dark days in SoCal in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

I was working as a runner at Long Beach Arena for the first- and second-round games. And the fact the defending national champions put up 115 points -- and lost by thirty-freakin-four points -- still ranks as one of the greatest games I've ever seen. The left-handed free throw -- yes, it was the first free throw Bo took -- was epic.

I was a HUGE UNLV fan, but even I wanted to see the Lions win the Elite Eight game. They had no chance.

Bo was on Dan Patrick's show this morning and was tremendous. And the Guru of Go was great.

Sadly, there will never be another LMU. But watching them was tremendous fun.

RIP Hank.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I was at the LMU first round NCAA game against New Mexico State, the first game after Hank's death and it was an amazing experience.

It remains the only first round game since the bracket expanded to 64 teams that featured two ranked teams. Bo picked up his fourth foul in the first half and then dared the officials to call the fifth. He finished with something like 45 points, including the famous left-handed free throw.

The game was played at the Long Beach Arena and was about as pro-LMU as it could have been. It started at 8:30 PST and was televised nationally to 100% of the country (back then, there was always one game played at that time on both Thursday and Friday night so the eastern and central time zones could air it right after the news. Poor NMSU was sacrificed on national TV. . . they never stood a chance against LMU and the emotional roller coaster that they were on.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, outside the gym. Today they are much more accessible and he'd be getting treatment almost immediately instead of just lying on the floor waiting for the medical guys to arrive. The guy I spoke of here collapsed on the practice court and was attended to immediately, where he fell, saving his life.

Draft saved Draft deleted