1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 best films of the 21st century .. says someone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 4, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

EDIT: Somebody spent 72.7% of their time in pretentious indy theaters.

Sorry, that's all I'll give you.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree on No. 1. Movie I can (and have watched) again and again.

Some of those I didn't care for all that much.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Nah, Shottie. At least 15 of those had to be in wide release and most of the rest probably come up on your Netflix recommendations if you watch Eternal Sunshine and There Will be Blood.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Apparently it would be asking too much to get a graph of two about each flick instead of just a trailer. Because I too had not heard about most of them.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Enjoyed many of these, but Tree of Life and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind did nothing for me. Yeah, wouldn't say Grand Budapest was better than Royal Tenenbaums. To say that movie is about nothing seems odd. It's about Gene Hackman making me laugh by calling Danny Glover
    "coal train." And also more; much much more. Love that movie.

Also, where the fuck is "Up"?

6. Jake_Taylor

I came from a family where the kids were the kids were expected to be achievers of a certain level, but we also all grew kind of distant as we got older. I guess Royal Tenenbaums spoke to me in that way.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Another omission: Batman Begins/The Dark Knight. Easily the best of this century's glut of comic-book movies.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Never seen any of them, haven't even heard of most of them. I need to get out more. Or not. I did see some Mission Impossible flick in the theater a couple years back.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I see about one movie a year and I've seen a number of them and have heard of most. As Internet lists go, this one is far from pretentious.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I really disliked many of the movies on this list ("The Master" - yecch!) but I love "Lost in Translation." I can't really explain why but I do. It's in my top 25 all-time.

11. Jake_Taylor

OUTING ALERT: Dyno is David Miscavige.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

By the way, if you want a bigger helping of pretentiousness, here's the complete top 100 list cited in the OP's link: The 21st Century’s 100 greatest films

The "notable omissions" I mentioned earlier are mostly on the longer list, but I'd still quibble with their place. Requiem for a Dream, in particular, is a revolutionary movie that is hands-down top 10, if not top 5 or top 3. It's every bit as innovative as Memento, but its story holds up much better when told traditionally, unlike Memento, which is rather mundane underneath it all.

EDIT: Also, regarding Lost in Translation, I could see not liking the execution, but not getting it? It's a pretty simple, powerful premise.

Draft saved Draft deleted