1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And Scherzer after the first month of the season.

Ramos has been pretty big, too. Last year, Harper was the only one having a big year. This year, he's one of the few who isn't, at least among those expected to be good. Dusty's done a nice job, too, pushing the right buttons (mostly, the Pittsburgh extra-inning fuck up being a notable exception). He's been given a very good bench and he's used it well.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where was Harper at before the Cubs series when they walked him nearly every plate appearance? He wasn't great before that, but it seems like he hasn't done anything at all since.

3. Moderator1

He was hitting .274 with 10 HR and and 26 RBI, in 27 games going into that series. He's now at .234/20/56 in 103 games.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Before the Cubs series....27 games, 266/372/679 slash. 10 HR, 26 RBI

After the Cubs series...72 games, 222/355/369 slash, 10 HR, 29 RBI

5. Dick Whitman

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Just for further context:

Since July 8, so almost a month, Harper has had ZERO multi-hit games, hit ONE home run and driven in FOUR runs. I'll admit, I was surprised how bad he has been when I looked past a falling batting average.

7. Dick Whitman

Only seems fair to mention that Mike Trout has all of two home runs since June 28.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dusty burned out Harper's hitting elbow.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It's all about balance for Harper.

When he starts doing that thing where he's falling away from the plate as he swings, he stinks. When his balance is locked in and he's staying on that outside pitch, that's when he's money. Sadly - basically since that Cubs series - he's been doing the falling-away thing.

I'm pretty convinced he needs to just take his single when teams pitch him outside, and let the damage come when there's a middle-to-middle-in mistake. Stop trying to pull that outside pitch out of the park, por favor.

10. Moderator1

When he does connect? My gosh.
    Someone will figure it out. As I've noted, at least he's not dragging the team down with him.

11. Dick Whitman

And Jose Abreu goes deep for the first time since June 23.

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I'm sure Mrs. Abreu is appreciative.

sgreenwell and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted