1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

24: Redemption

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 19, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Has anyone in the history of the show befriended Jack and lived to tell about it? I can think of just Chloe and Wayne Palmer and the latter got F-ed up last year whereas I'd be surprised if the former lasts through the end of Day 7

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was OK...took a while to warm up. The ending was predictable yet worthwhile, where Jack has to do the noble thing in order to get the kids freed. And he looked happy in the last image, which is something you rarely get to see.

Best part? the teaser for next season when Jack grabs tony by the throat and says "I'll kill you and I'll make sure you stay dead!"

And the elimination of dopey drug guy was original even by 24 standards.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Are they going to charge those two hours against the next season?

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Trying to stay away from this thread, at least until I get home and watch it.

If it's good, I may go to Best Buy and pick up a copy on DVD.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think that's the "redemption" part: he turned himself in so that the children would get out on the last chopper, thus beginning the process of redeeming himself to himself for his past sins, real or imaginary. He's been flagellating himself for a long time now.

There's a plot point related to that which is going to be lurking in Season/Day 7 literally for hours, I think.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Go to Best Buy on XMas Eve.
    Each season is 20 bucks - at least it has been the last two years. Fox drops the prices of all their shows, including the ones they produce and don't air on Fox.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I liked it. What 24 does better than any show is set up moments where you have no idea which way things are going to go - the land mine, the kid with the gun, the kids at the gate of the embassy.
    Good stuff.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what. If season 7 is all about Jack trying to get redemption for his past sins and it spreads throughout the day, it has the potential to be one of the best seasons of the series.

I mean, think of all the people he killed and/or all the deaths he was responcible for, think of all the extreme things he did to others and try to find a way where he can turn that around.

In the beginning, you could justify it all by saying he was doing what was best for the country, but now it seems as if those acts are weighing on his conscience and it'll take a bigger act than just "being a hero" to scrub the blood off his hands.

9. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Cannot wait for Jan. 11.
    By the way, I think the show's pattern will make this seaon a good one.
    Season One: Awesome.
    Season Two: Crap (Oh no. Kim's caught in a bear trap. Her storyline ruined the whole season for me.)
    Season Three: Awesome
    Season Four: Too predictable.
    Season Five: Awesome.
    Season Six: Average. Nothing amazing after awhile.
    Season Seven: ??? I predict Awesome.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gotta disagree. I thought season two, even with Kim's stupid fucking storyline with Johnny Drama, was the best season of network TV I'd ever seen. And what a cliffhanger.

They nearly lost me during season three, what a pile of crap that was for half a year. It saved itself with the most shocking scene ever (the execution of Chappelle) and the subsequent oh no they didn't act of killing an entire hotel. Season four was pretty good, season five was outstanding (w/another great cliffhanger), season six jumped the shark about nine times.

Not really expecting awesome out of this season, but I'll tune in and try to suspend disbelief every week anyway.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I watch 24 every time it's on, but I haven't LOVED it since the end of Season 2, when they had some woman just walk up to David Palmer and transmit some fast-acting poison into his body with a handshake. This after they spent the entire first season setting up an elaborate scheme to assassinate him. Who knew it was so easy??

Then Season 3 starts and the resolution is, "Oh, he's fine."

Absolutely ruined the first two seasons.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

He wasn't fine...he lived, obviously (until he got shot in the neck), but I'm pretty sure he was still weakened by whatever it was she gave him. They made it a point to show his screwed-up hand as often as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted