1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

24 has just jumped the shark (spoilers, obviously)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You do not come back from a nuclear explosion in the middle of a city.
    If you've already killed 250,000 imaginary people, what difference does it make if you kill another million? This show always has pushed the edge, and Jack shooting Curtis in the neck had us looking over the rim of that canyon ... but the nuclear bomb was the end of it. There is nothing entertaining about that.
    I'll watch Two And A Half Men and laugh on Mondays from now on.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The resulting nuclear explosion is far more realistic than Super-Bauer flying in to, again, stop another major terrorist plot. (And, no, I don't think much of the show is real in the slightest.)

The explosion wasn't in the middle of a city, it was in the suburbs 20-miles away from the city.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If you've ever been to Southern California, you'd know that the city goes on for miles. It's not just the Staples Center and a bunch of high-rise buildings. What happened might have been more realistic than the bomb being stopped, but I'm looking for entertainment when I watch a TV show. Like I said, where's the suspense in looking for the next four nukes? They've already detonated one.
    On 24, the terrorists won. There will not be a recount.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought if a nuke goes off, generally anyone within 50 miles of the bomb is SOL.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I wondered when someone would get around to finally starting a "24" thread.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I can fully understand that. I guess it is all about minimizing loss at this point. The remainder of the season is a battle of reducing damage. I also wonder if there will be subtle political messages involving civil liberties.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They said the suitcase nukes are small-yield nukes, less than a kiloton (smaller than the Hiroshima bomb). They said the blast will kill anyone in a 1/2-mile radius and fallout depends on prevailing winds.

My guess is that, with the bomb going off 20 miles north of the city (as they said on the show), the prevailing winds will blow the fallout toward the ocean and the casualties will low, relatively speaking.

There's going to be nothing subtle about the messages involving civil liberties.

Oh, and I sure hope twoback never runs a counter-terrorist unit. "250,000 are dead. Fuck the other million who could die. Let's get get lunch."

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Assuming this was sarcasm, very well done.

Twoback, join the party over on the running thread.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Your assumption is correct. And thank you.

10. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

You will NOT watch two and a half men, you WILL watch me save the country

[​IMG]

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

24 jumped the shark, eh? You must not have watched every episode like most of us on here have.

How ironic is that this my 2400th post? :D

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I don't get it.
    Are you saying it already had jumped?
    I've been on board since Day 2, have seen every episode since. Enjoyed the heck out of it, too. But this was where I drew the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted