1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

24 Day 6: Noon-1 p.m. running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 5, 2007.

1. President Palmer was on the senate foreign intelligence committee, IIRC, and that's how he knew Bauer.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Remember the president from last season (Season 5) was the VP in Season 4. He took over when the president's plane crashed and then had former President Palmer help guide him through that season's crisis. When season 5 began he was already president and President Palmer was just a private citizen - we don't know what he did because he was shot in the first few minutes of the season.

However how did Palmer's brother get elected president? During the election did the opposition forget to bring up the scandal that forced his brother out of office after just one term?

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Yeah, it's still strange how Kenny Anderson got elected POTUS. Perhaps we'll find out later in the season....

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

There are several notable elections where a wife or siblings reaches office after a family member dies. However, POTUS seems a bit of a stretch.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

It was implied that President Pedro elected not to run for a second term following the scandal involving his ex-wife and the death of the millionaire pain-in-the-ass. Not sure if that scandal ever actually went public because it seemed like Palmer was being the true patriot by refusing to run again because he didn't deserve it.

Of course I could be wrong.

As for Wayne being elected. . . popular president is assasinated and his brother is elected is probably one of the more feasable story lines that 24 has ever used.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Actually, they didn't know each other until Day 1. Palmer chaired the Senate Coreign Intel Committee that greenlighted a covert military attack on a terrorist named Victor Drazen. Bauer led that mission. The Drazens tried to set Jack up to assassinate Palmer and ultimately kill Jack on the day of the California presidential primary, which also happened to be the anniversary of the covert attack.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

"The following takes place between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. on the day of the California Presidential Primary..."

I still get chills every time I hear that. Season One was great.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I still expect to hear the "...on the day of..." at the top of every show. That was such a great opening.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Last season had tons of memorable lines by now.
    "The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you." - Jack Bauer. Bad Ass. Season 5.
    This season is just ok.

10. KYSportsWriter

"You probably don't think that I can force this towel all the way down your throat. But trust me, I can. All the way."

"I have killed two people since midnight. I haven't slept in over 24 hours. So maybe you should be a little more afraid of me than you are now."

"Trust me, you don't wanna go down this path with me."

"If you think for a second that I am afraid to put a bullet in your brain, you don't know me."

"The only way you're going to die is if I kill you."

"When I'm finished with you you're gonna wish that you felt this good again."

"My name's not Frank. It's Jack Bauer."

Jack: He's using you. He wanted you to get inside my head. And it worked. And now I'm… upset.

Jack: A year and a half ago, I was warned that my life was in danger, by someone within the government. I was told the only way I could stay alive was to create the illusion that I was dead. I was forced to deceive people that I loved. My only daughter will never forgive me. As I see the depth of your corruption unfold, I have no doubt that you are that source of danger. David Palmer was a great man, and he was a great President! But he was also my friend. He tried to warn me about you and now he is dead. Other people tried to help me, and they are dead, too. So Mr. Logan, I hope you understand… I have absolutely nothing to lose. You are going to be held accountable for your part of everything that happened today. You are not going to be able to hide behind the Presidency — right here, right now, you are going to face justice! And make no mistake about this, this is personal. And if you think for a second that I am scared to put a bullet in your brain, you don't know me. I am going to ask you one last time. Who are your co-conspirators? You have until the count of three, or I will kill you.

11. KYSportsWriter

More favorite lines:
    From season 1:
    Kim: So, is she still giving you the cold shoulder?
    Jack: If by "she" you're referring to your mother, I'd appreciate if you called her by her name. Mom. And no, she's just busy.
    Kim Bauer: She's busy a lot.

Vincent O'Brien: Hello?
    Jack: Vincent, Jack Bauer. You planning on seeing Kimberly tonight?
    Vincent O'Brien: No way, man. We broke up, you know that.
    Jack: I just wanted to make sure you knew that.
    Vincent O'Brien: Chill, man. I don't know where she is. You've got my word.
    Jack: That's a real comfort, Vincent, knowing I've got your word.

This season:
    Buchanan: I don't know what to say, Jack.
    Jack: Do you understand the difference between dying for something and dying for nothing? The only reason I fought so hard to stay alive in China was because I didn't want to die for nothing. This day, I can die for something. My way, my choice. To be honest with you, it'll be a relief.

12. NDub

NDub Guest

Another favorite:

"WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!"

Draft saved Draft deleted