1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

23rd Annual SF_Express "Stamp Out Respective/Respectively" Campaign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 30, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myriad

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So, "There is a myriad of people who believe in" is, in fact, still wrong. Yes? Should be believes.

3. imjustagirl

Yes. I was merely responding to shotty.

It was post-race. I was tired. :D

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Actually, I see it argued both ways, which is not at all surprising.

5. imjustagirl

To me, it's singular. A myriad believes. Myriad is the subject, not the people.

But people always think it sounds weird when a plural is followed by a singular verb. It's definitely awkward at times, but still right.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/03/hank-williams-compares-obama-to-hitler_n_992513.html

Hank Williams doesn't use "respectively," but that doesn't mean he totally thinks Obama is Hitler in this statement.

7. Lanky

Lanky New Member

The key, I think, is identifying the antecedent for "who." My read is that it's "people," making the plural verb the correct one.

It's similar to the "one of those" constructions.

"She is one of those people who like spinach."

It sounds incorrect to those who think "like" goes with "one," but the plural verb is the proper choice.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I just got very tired.

9. Lanky

Lanky New Member

That happens to old men. Lie down. It will pass.

10. jr/shotglass

You know me too well. Kvetch among yourselves.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

OK, one more, just because it has come up a lot this week and it drives me berserk.

The NFL season is one-fourth complete, and seemingly every columnist, beat writer and radio guy is giving his analysis of the season "at the quarter pole."

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! First, anyone with even an inkling of knowledge about horse racing knows the quarter pole is a quarter-mile FROM THE FINISH LINE, not from the start. Plus, the quarter pole is a quarter-mile from the finish regardless of the race's distance, so it doesn't necessarily even mark that one-fourth of the race is left.

If we don't know what something means can we please look it up before we say it? Or at least just not say it?

12. jr/shotglass

Now, if I followed that rule, I would be rendered mute for the rest of my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted