1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

23rd Annual SF_Express "Stamp Out Respective/Respectively" Campaign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"or" connotes a parallelism between the two sets of things while "not to mention" properly connotes a subordination of the later to the former.

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Seems like there's an inherent parallelism between the two, because they're both supporting the idea that Coach Smith's assertion is flawed.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think "or" works better than "not to mention." Again, think about what you're saying: If something is "not to mention," then why are you mention it? If it's "not to mention," then it shouldn't be mentioned. It only makes sense if the item that is "not to mention" is not actually mentioned specifically. Here's one example in which "not to mention" makes sense but still probably isn't a necessary phrase (all facts henceforth are made up):

I would prefer "as well as" to "not to mention" in that situation, but at least "not to mention" makes sense. I might not change that instance of "not to mention." At least you're not mentioning the things that are "not to mention."

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

What's wrong with "and" instead of "not to mention"? And I wouldn't use "myriad" in that case, when "many" seems just as accurate and way less stuffy. Even better than "many": the actual number of two-run losses.

"Not to mention" never makes any damn sense under any circumstances, is my position. Get it out of here.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You could just say "and many other," I agree. Like I said, I wouldn't use "not to mention" ever. But in that case, I think you can agree, it's not incorrect.

And I only used "myriad" in my example because I had just read it in IJAG's post.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Sure, it's "not incorrect," but that doesn't mean it's good.

Yeah, I had a sneaky feeling about "myriad." Nicely played.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Speaking of her post, if it's "a" myriad of people, wouldn't it be "believes" and not "believe," as she wrote?

8. Point of Order

Sure, we could argue about what works better all day, but I'm just telling you it's a matter of style that we're discussing and not something that must be an ironclad, always change it rule. Make sure I spelled guys' names right & didn't typo the score before you start changing my not to mention.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I might need the blue font here ... but you do know "myriad of people" is incorrect, right?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Parallel construction is OK, but I prefer my sentences to be perpendicular.

11. Point of Order

Circular is most popular.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

shotglass, I was just trying to extend the conceit. As Ragu would say, I don't work blue.

(Well, sometimes.)

Draft saved Draft deleted