1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

23 Reasons Why J.R. Moehringer can't write a profile about Pete Carroll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Dec 19, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know some voices who think Carroll is a bit less than wonderful. The truth is, though, he's a likable guy, who has done a lot of really good things to help some poor, forgotten people--especially since arriving at USC. And he doesn't have a community relations person or SID staging events for him. The trips to the ghetto, or the learning-disabled guy whose growth was stunted by bone cancer who he adopts as the team waterboy are all Carroll. I really believe he does those things from his heart and he just acts when he sees someone in need. I also think there is a perception among some people that he also doesn't shy away from the PR he can get from the gestures he makes. In a way, he got skewered when he was in the NFL for being such a likable guy. He was too much of a "players coach." Not enough of an "authority figure." Trying to be "liked by everyone." I think some of the media treatment he got regarding that perception, hardened him up. And he's just savvier now about how he presents himself. Which is why there are those voices who think Carroll is a bit less than wonderful. A lot of people see a really genuine guy worthy of the awe Shockey was talking about. Some see a fake. It's sort of inevitable.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would loudly disagree with this one.

If you want to make that argument, it's Pierce who wrote such a good story about Woods that it couldn't be done right again, but I contend that's somewhat false because Jones wrote a story about Tiger that -- while not quite reaching the iconic status of "The Man. Amen." -- was better than anything written about Tiger since Eldrick told Pierce dick jokes in the back of a limo.

Gary's story "The Chosen One," while technically perfect and artistically beautiful, looks ridiculous in retrospect. Its inclusion in The Best American Sports Writing of the Century, ahead of Pierce's piece, is preposterous. It's not even in Smith's top 10.

3. Double Down

As a profiler, though, don't you have the responsibility to include some (or even one) of those voices? If for no other reason than to serve as a counterweight within the piece? Even if you set it up, then shoot it down, you are at least giving the piece a few moments to ponder whether Carroll is too good to be true. Flaws are something we can empathize with. Does Pete have any flaws within this piece?

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It certainly doesn't seem like Pete has any flaws in this one. Even after an the embarassing loss to Stanford, this piece has him coming out smelling like Roses (get it?).

But as I read this piece a second time, I realized what made me like it so much. It is the same thing with "Resurrecting the champ", something that might not be appreciated by the average reader. This piece goes really in depth with not just Pete, but with the writer's relationship with his subject. As a writer, that was profoundly interesting to me. Maybe J.R. went in with this worship of Pete beforehand, but it seems to me that his appreciation for the coach grew and grew, like a crecendo, in this piece.

Maybe this piece doesn't point out Pete's flaws, whether he has them or not. But I think the approach J.R. took instead of the standard "show the opposition then shoot it down" worked much better.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You don't have that obligation if you are profiling someone who you perceive as a really great guy. In feature writing, what you include or don't include, makes the piece. You are not bound by any rules. You think all those made-for-Disney stories that Gary Smith crafts are really as Disneylisish through and through? Feature writing is about telling a story. And the writer gets a lot of leeway in deciding what the story is. There is no obligation to shit all over the story by finding a dissenting voice, if you personally have conviction about what you are writing.

This is a pet peeve of mine with journalism in general, though. If this was news (which is just a completely different animal to me), far too often journalists go out of their way to seek out "the other side," and end up giving too much play to something unworthy of the focus--and they end up overstating the absurd. If a guy walks into a bank, shoots a teller at point blank range, cleans out the cash drawer, is witnessed doing it by 30 people, gets caught on 12 surveillance cameras, runs right into the waiting arms of the police as he exits the bank holding a bag of money and immediately confesses to them... well, the story is exactly as it seems. That's an extreme example, but there are actually journalists who think that objective reporting means they have to strain to find a voice that casts doubt on the obvious. The journalist might seek out the one person who was on the far side of the bank and didn't get a clear look at the guy, and make sure to include a quote just to be even-handed about it. You see this too much.

6. Double Down

Rags,

I agree with nearly all of what you're saying. I think the "other side" malady of journalism most often manifests itself in the politcal stories where that "other side" may be one lone, lunatic voice who is given equal time under the false pretense of objectivity. As you said, sometimes the story is exactly as it seems. And I think real in-depth quality magazine writing (especially a profile) can be, and is often, subjective, especially in the hands of someone as talented as Moehringer. But I the profiles I admire the most are the ones that explore a little darkness in their subjects. Not necessarily in quotes or the lone angry voice, but with a scene or a moment that reveals something more is going on here than we'll ever really know.

S.L. Price's piece last year about Ray Lewis did this, I thought, particularly well.

Again, I'm not really critical of this piece, which is excellent. I just think it's an interesting discusison.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I can't get the link to work again. I hadn't completely finished it.

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Nice job shitting the bed on this one, LA Mag. A piece that's been roundly hailed as a great piece of feature writing and your web site breaks so no one can read it.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

hmmm. yeah, price found a dark side to depict in a piece on ray lewis? challenging.

maybe the essence to the carroll piece if that he has no "dark" side. who woulda thunk it? someone in the public eye with nothing to be afraid of someone digging up? stunning!

how cynical even we ink-stained wretches have become. even his biggest detrctors as an NFL coach during his time in n.y. and boston never found any "dark" side to carroll. maybe, just maybe, there isn't one. possible?

10. Double Down

It's impressive what a condecending prick you are every time we try to talk about writing, shockey.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

eureka! that makes a lotta sense, dd. thanks for playing. ::) ::) ::)

12. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Yup. I enjoyed. I read his feature that won the Pulitzer, and about a page in, I was stunned. Amazing writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted