1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

22 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

He gave Castille what amounted to a free shot at Byner. Yeah, Byner dropped it. But when the player who causes the fumble is turned loose by that kind of shit, a teammate who just didn't even attempt to do his job, I'm holding The Matador responsible. BTW, Marty agrees with me. ESPN Classic revisited it a few years ago, and Marty put the blame at Webster's feet, FWIW.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The difference between Cleveland sports fans bitching over The Drive and The Fumble and Chokeland fans bitching over The Tuck Rule (or the Immaculate Reception, FWIW) is that the Raiders have won the Super Bowl. They won it when they played in Oakland. They won it when they played in Los Angeles.

Actually, scratch that. Cleveland has won four NFL titles (1950, 1954, 1955 and 1964) and dominated the All America Football Conference before it joined the NFL, winning all four of its titles. So they can STFU about The Drive and The Fumble.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

While we're at it, fuck Marty. That Drive loss hangs around HIS neck. Fucking prevent defense. God I hate that guy. He ranks slightly below Elway and Modell on my eternal hate list...but not by much.

And if you read any accounts of it, Castille dropped off. If he was four yards off and Byner went that way, I'm not sure you can put all blame on Slaughter. Hell, I was never a Slaughter girl but I'm not putting that one on him. Besides...he weighed 12 pounds soaking wet. How much damage could he have done? It's not like it was Langhorne out there.

4. imjustagirl

Oops. Forgot to ask permission.

I'll go sing Stevie Nicks in your honor.

5. Killick

IJAG, I guess it's just a principle thing with me. Had Webster even attempted to do his job, I'd turn my attention back to Byner.

6. imjustagirl

Eh, Slaughter slacked on plays where the ball didn't go to him all the time. It was a trade I was willing to make.

Byner carried the ball like a tool. He lost the ball. His fault.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No. The Raiders had the game won on that single mis-officiated play.

Period.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

The biggest fix perpetuated by a guy, Paul Tagliabue, who perpetuated (or at least tried really hard, I'm looking at you, Steelers at Colts Jan. '06) a whole shitload of fixes.

As some might say: Inarguable among the sane.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Red Right 88 - ah brings back memories, the last Oakland Raiders Super Bowl win. Once got to interview Mike Davis at a charity basketball game, and, sure it was totally unprofessional, but I thanked him and shook his hand as a grateful Raider fan.

10. Killick

I think I speak for all Clevelanders when I say I hope your nutsack turns gangrenous and falls off, Dan. ;D

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell Killick, haven't Raiders fans suffered enough since then? Team moves to LA, wins a Super Bowl for those fakes down in SoCal. They move back to Oakland get good, get screwed in New England, coach leaves, Raiders make the Super Bowl, their center freaks out, old coach humilates new coach, team takes a nose dive it appears incapable of pulling out of. I'd trade places with Cleveland fans right now. And believe me, seeing the Broncos get lucky twice against the Browns was a bitter pill to swallow for a Raider fan.

12. Killick

Okay, then just a severe case of jock itch.

Draft saved Draft deleted