1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

22-year-old arrested for posing as a 15-year-old hoopster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 11, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nixon's crack-induced wrinkles is not a fair comparison.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is a somewhat penny-ante copy-editing complaint, but, what ever happened to writing out organizational names upon first reference?

Sure, this is written by a regional area paper, mostly for a local audience. But, especially with the internet these days, audiences are wider and not always wise to everything local. My concern is especially pertinent with stories, like this one, that are likely to attract national attention.

What does ECISD stand for? (Ector County Independent School District). What about UTPB? (University of Texas of the Permian Basin). And, how about ICE? (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)?

I knew the last one but wondered it that wasn't it, and it was, perhaps, a locally specific reference like the other ones. That original story made me have to look all that up, right in the middle of reading.

And, I would have liked to see a little more reference to this guy's performances and status in school from an academic standpoint. Education may have originally played a part in this deception, might it not?

But, even if not, it'd have been nice to know a little bit of information about that aspect of this guy's story, and to see if he had seemed to be taking anything else away from his school experience -- along with a potential scholarship or a look-see from pro-basketball scouts that was probably hoped for in the near future.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In his defense, since he was pretending to be a 15-year-old, none of the juniors or seniors would have anything to do with him.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So are the local writers going to revote on the All-West Texas team?

Draft saved Draft deleted