1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

22-year-old arrested for posing as a 15-year-old hoopster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 11, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Texas football had an "imposter" situation that came up when it played Virginia Tech in the 1995 Sugar Bowl. Can't remember all the details now but the guy was 28 or so and had a JUCO history.

A far cry from this one.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If he's naturally in, then maybe they can't deport him.
    And maybe jail's too harsh.
    But we gotta set some parameters for future potential impersonators (and their lawyers) to look at before they think about doing this sort of thing.
    There has to be some punishment.
    Picking up trash along the highway might suit me just fine.
    Quit dumbing down the justice system. It starts at this level and it keeps being dumbed down all the way to the stealing and harming and murdering level.
    The kid fucked up. He needs to be made to pay.

A lot of people were "hurt" by this.
    Kids trying to earn scholarships and people who spent a bunch of money to go out on the road and follow their kids, then watch them get duped by a 22-year-old.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, he was arrested and being held in jail. So there's that good news.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Cameron Crowe would not like that.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

see James, LeBron; Oden, Greg; Nixon, Otis

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In the wild west that was the NAIA, a school got in trouble because the coach was having guys use fake IDs, people who had used up their college eligibility, and say they were someone else so they could play for him.
    Gunslinger Cooley was the coach.

And I vaguely remember the Harvard runner fraud case but no details. I just remember it was a fantastic read

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think Granville Waiters was already bald by 16.

8. Moderator1

Gunslinger Cooley is a great fucking name. Damn. What a name.

We had a kid around here leave one DII school at mid-semester and play for another in the same league the next semester (of the same season). Apparently legal, too.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ok. Been busy all day, For those who wanted to know about the Harvard runner. ... It wasn't Stanford and Harvard as I remembered. His fake H.S. career was in Palo Alot, Calif. and the university was Princeton. It was an amazing story. ... He had been a runner at University of Wyoming, but had legal problems or had to leave. And at 26 he faked his way back into Palo Alto H.S. and was winning meets. He had a track scholarship to Stanford before a reporter who was fishy unraveled his story. Afterward, he gets arrested for all kinds of grifter crimes like forging checks, theft, etc. While all of that was going on (he was arrested and charged in Utah), he used the name Alexi Indris Santana, and somehow got admitted to Princeton, claiming to be an 18-year-old self-educated Utah ranch hand, who was an orphan and educated himself while sleeping under the stars. He was really in his 30s. Princeton gives him a $15K academic scholarship and the track coach is eager for him to come. While in prison, he writes to Princeton and gets a deferment saying his mom is dying of leukemia in Switzerland. He serves 6 months, gets released and heads to Princeton, where he starts running track. But a few years later, he's at an Ivy League track meet and a student from Yale recognizes him from back at Palo Alto H.S. and reports him to the police. And he gets busted all over again. Here are some links that helped me put it all back together.

http://www.mileendfilms.com/cm_timeline.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hogue

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1900621_1900618_1900619,00.html

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The real question is if he dated any girls while he was pulling this off. That could send him away for quite some time.

They have to set a precedent and punish this kid to make anyone who might think this is a good idea in the future rethink their decision-making process.

11. Moderator1

Uh, dating wouldn't send him away unless dating automatically means, well, you know.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Thank you. Great work. Sorry for the confusion on Harvard on my part.

Draft saved Draft deleted