1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

22-inch web

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

My shop, a CNHI gig, is going to a 22-inch web Monday. I'm told we are one of the first in the company to make the change.

Meaning my life, until that point, is spent trying to change every element of style sheets and libraries we use.

Our columns will be just more than 9 picas in width. We use 9.8 point size, with 11 leading and are changing our body copy font from New Century Schoolbook to Times.

At the end of December, we will cease to produce our TMC and our weekly entertainment tab (8 pages).

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We use 9 point, 10.5 leading. I've never heard a complaint.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're at 8.7 on 9.7.

Plenty readable. And necessary with all the space cutbacks.

A 9-pica column with 9.8-point type is going to have some ugly hyphenation and justification issues.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Aprapos of nothing: New Century Schoolbook needs to be taken to the woodshed and have a bullet fired into the back of its skull. Unless you're publishing Fun With Dick And Jane or trying to be hipster ironic, nobody should ever use it. And if you're hipster ironic, bullet in the back of the head.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

10.375 inch width at 6 columns (1.646 inches wide)

Body Copy is 9-point Baskerville BE Regular with 10.5 leading

inside pages are 21.5 inches deep while front ranges from 19.75 deep to 18.75 (KY Lottery ad runs on Friday and Tuesday)

agate is 7-point franklin gothic, but sometimes we'll run at 6 point with no leading and haven't had complaints about it being too small

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

We recently went from 23 to 21.

So we're trying to put out a hyperlocal paper with 42 less column inches per page...or more than 500 less column inches per issue on a given day.

We didn't have much of an issue with style sheets. I tried to make my agate page work, but I couldn't do 5 on 4 with the new template. So my new scoreboard grid is just 4 on 4.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

You deskers make my head hurt...lol. Just tell me how many characters per inch and don't make my brain hurt. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted