1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

21 years ago today... the call that still resonates in Missouri

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doubledown68, Oct 26, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

not even close

fuck the cardinals

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's my favorite Posnanski column of all-time.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Might be mine, too. He summed up my feelings pretty well there.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fuck the Cardinals. That is all.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

None of us could've said it any better.

(who are the best fans in baseball? I dunno, but I do know you can't walk 10 feet in New England without finding a TV on the Sawx game when they're in a pennant race).

So, are the Best, Most Knowledgeable and Exalted Fans In Baseball (tm) going to acknowledge that the Cardinals are the worst team in the history of MLB to win a World Series? (a fact they didn't have much difficulty pointing out when the Twins beat them in '87, something my Cards-fan dad spent a decade complaining about).

6. joe

joe Active Member

Number of years since Cubs won a World Series: 98. Number of hours since Cardinals won a World Series: 20.
    I. Rest. My. Case.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

And we have Exhibit A ...

To a Cardinal fan, there are only two teams in baseball. And as long as they're better than the beer-swilling partygoers at Wrigley, they have to be the Best Fans in Baseball. Retort No. 1 is always pointing out that, well, they have to be the most knowledgeable, best fans in baseball because they dare follow a team that has won a World Series since the Depression.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Not saying Cardinals fans are the most knowledgeable fans blah blah blah. Just saying the Cubs suck. And it pleases me to no end that my ex is a Cubs fan and has to suffer through the White Sox and the Cardinals winning a World Series in back-to-back years.
    Also beautiful is Illinois choking today and the Raiders being a complete joke, but that's another chapter.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

All bow to Cardinals fans. The single best fucking fans in history of sports.

10. likemav

likemav Member

You Cardinals haters are a fun bunch. Not because of your sense of humors, but because of the irony of your own bitching. You can't stand Cardinals fans for bitching about the Denkinger call, but look what you're doing now (and a lot more often than just now). Re-read your own comments. Who is it that can't "let it go"?

Some of you are terrific in using sarcasm in an argument or bitch session, and that is funny too, but it often doesn't do well in laying out a point of view...a logical one anyway. When you can't make a valid point, you use sarcasm. Funny.

The Cardinals won another World Series. Their fans, amongst the best or not, are celebrating. Another one of us opposes your viewpoints. Let's see how long it takes for one you "funny" boys to fire off another F bomb in the Cardinals, or their fans, or my direction(s). Too funny.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fuck you. ;)

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

OK, I'll chime in here. First off, to the poster who said the Raiders were a complete joke... those fuckers managed to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, knocking me out of a $10,000 Last Man Standing contest. Ben, do us all a favor and sit the fuck down next week, ya turd.

All right, threadjack done. I love how history forgets certain things happened. Denkinger blew the call. Buckner let the ball go between his legs. Steve Bartman (there's a legendary example of a Cub fan if ever there was one) interferes with a ball in play. Three major postseason incidents, but one thing followed all of them.

GAME SEVEN.

Umpiring back then was bad at times, just as bad as it is now... although, thank God, most of the really, really bad umps did not get a postseason assignment.

And I would cut Cards fans (like myself... coughcough) a little slack. It's been 24 years since we've been able to celebrate like this, so to borrow Jack Buck's phrase "GO CRAZY, FOLKS!"

Draft saved Draft deleted