1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

21 Shot, 1 Dead -- in Separate Incidents in Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The number of murders zoomed under Koch and Dinkens, with the most amount of murders occurred under the Dinkins administration, 2,245 in 1990.

http://www.vitalstatistics.info/sub-category2.asp?cid=16&scid=2095

There weren't even 500 in 2009:

http://tacomaconfidential.typepad.com/the_murder_book_2008/murder-statistics-new-york-city/

And from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/nyregion/22cnd-murder.html?ex=1353387600&en=834aa23f2b5b6a5f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

“You would expect New York to follow the national trend, but instead, murders continue to go down considerably,” said Mr. Reppetto.

“Not only has the N.Y.P.D. reduced murder, by nearly 80 percent, but it has changed the pattern of homicides,” he added. “In the early 1990’s, many innocent citizens were killed by bullets from battling drug gangs. Today, thanks to the police drive against the gangs, that type of homicide is far less common.”

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Nobody is going to run on a real root-out-corruption platform, because too many people benefit from it. What gored Todd Stroger -- the son of the late Cook County President who took over that same role -- was not that he was hiring all sorts of patronage workers. It was that, unlike the Daleys, he didn't care enough to spread jobs out based on ethnicity so everyone felt they had a hand in the till. Instead, the largesse was mostly to his fellow African-Americans, and white people in Chicago didn't want to pay an 11 percent sales tax so black people could get cushy county jobs.

As for crime, unless there's a lot more Natasha McShane incidents (she was an Irish exchange student who was beaten to near-death with a baseball bat after a night out in Bucktown -- her friend was beaten just as badly, too), a lot of Chicagoans will chalk up crime to "those people" killing each other, and not worry too much about it, at least not enough to vote out the latest Mare-for-Life.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

21 shot looks good compared to this weekend:

The article goes on to list each shooting.

It ends with this line:

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

From my understanding it was Koch who hired thousands of cops as the city recovered from the finaical crises of the late 70s and 80s. Despite the sky high murder numbers, the crime rate actually began to fall in 1992 under Dinkins and continued through the Giuliani administration. I believe Malcolm Gladwell talked a bit about the drop in "The Tipping Point."

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I realize cops in the inner city have a major problem (no one wants to talk, not enough resources to devote to each case, ect). But damn, not to have a single suspect in custody?

6. YankeeFan

When the shootings involve gang members, even the victims won't cooperate with the police.

They're going to need undercover informants, and lots of them do bring down the gang crime and shootings in this city.

7. YankeeFan

At least 26 shot this weekend. More than 50 were shot last weekend.

This morning, the SCOTUS reversed the City's gun ban:

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe this has something to do with it? Heroin!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/28/chicagos-heroin-problem-w_n_627845.html

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

James Brown tried to warn 'em:

10. YankeeFan

Chicago cop killed with his own gun:

And, as usual, the killer should have never been on the streets:

11. YankeeFan

Chicago Police meet and negotiate with gang leaders. They ask them to stop killing people & threaten to tow their cars if they don't.

Also here: http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2648058,CST-NWS-gangs29.article

Well, I know I feel safer.

Now if these guys get arrested, they have no one to blame but themselves. I mean, they were asked nicely to stop killing people -- over snacks & beverages even.

12. Chicago is a murderous shithole. Thank God and G0d I decided to move somewhere else.

And of course nobody cares about the murder rate as long as it's concentrated on the South/West Sides. Once it hits Lincoln Park/Lakeview etc, WHICH IT WILL, then all hell will break loose.

10% county sales tax? Bwaahah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.