1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

21 Shot, 1 Dead -- in Separate Incidents in Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Regardless of constitutionality, gun bans are incredibly stupid for any metropolitan area in 21st century America. Banning guns simply puts more people in danger because those who would use guns in commission of a crime don't give a shit about the law. All a gun ban does is prevent innocent people from defending themselves if they ever find themselves in an unfortunate situation.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Apparently muggers vote Democrat in Chicago. I can think of no other reason for Daley to continue this idiotic crusade.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh how cute, a gun-nut circle jerk.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what this is.

Starman, if you lived in Chicago, what would you be advocating for?

I don't think there's an easy answer, but the gun ban is going to be found unconstitutional. Nearly every legal scholar agrees that, based on the DC case, there's almost no way it will stand.

If you lived in one of these neighborhoods, I could understand why you'd want to have a gun to defend yourself.

I don't think it would solve all of the problems, but it would be hard to argue with someone who wanted one.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Not to take the focus of this thread off Chicago, but I think that's mostly what cops do these days. Seek revenue and secure it.

And a lot of times they are out and out shameless about it. I remember reading an article in USA Today that said the Canton police department in Ohio had processed 400 percent more traffic violations at the start of the year than it had in 2009. The police chief there said that crime was way down, so it gave his officers more time to go after speeders. Yeah, right.

6. YankeeFan

It's all about revenue.

Chicago literally sold all of there parking meters to a private company.

Chicago got the one time revenue, the company gets all of the parking fees. But, Chicago gets the money from parking tickets.

So, since they no longer need to maintain parking meters (oh, and the rates have more than doubled), they've hired a bunch more traffic agents.

They literally stand near your car waiting for you meter to expire in the loop. In the neighborhoods, they have agents on bicycles riding up and down the streets.

And parking is no longer free on Sundays.

They now have red light cameras all over town. Though, I notice they aren't in the nice neighborhoods as much -- probably so as not to upset the people that donate to politicians.

If Penny Pritzker or someone like that got one, they'd probably all go away, so they put them in poorer neighborhoods where no one cares if they complain.

And if you have outstanding tickets, you will get a boot on your car.

I got a ticket not too long ago for parking in a loading dock. My Loading dock. I meant to fight it & forgot to.

Ended up getting a boot while parked at Midway Airport. And, if you pay the fine to get your boot off -- what option do you have -- then you can no longer fight the ticket.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I won't speak for Starman, but I know I wouldn't want MORE guns floating around, no matter who was using them.

This theory that people having guns will prevent crime has been proven false over and over again. What's an ironclad lock, however, is that the more handguns in an area in this country, the higher the death rates in that area -- both accidental and otherwise.

The problem with handgun bans is that handguns aren't banned everywhere. So, it's relatively easy for criminals to go a city or state over and get a gun or 12. But if you ban 'em everywhere and make the manufacturing of the damn things illegal, you'll cut the murder rates drastically over time, and the number of accidental shootings and shootings during the commission other crimes will also drop like a rock.

And there is NOTHING unconstitutional about banning handguns.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

To say nothing of the content contained above, this is the perfect thread for such a drive-by post.

9. YankeeFan

I'd love to just take your word for it, but would you like to cite a study or two to back up your post?

The Supreme Court disagrees with you.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The idea of banning guns everywhere is dumber than the idea of any given gun ban.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Clearly, it's Obama's fault.

12. YankeeFan

At least they arrested a serial killer:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-roseland-slayings-0531--20100530,0,7633187,full.story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.