1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

21 Shot, 1 Dead -- in Separate Incidents in Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Clearly, not enough criminals are Hawks fans as they were not sufficiently distracted.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/05/2-wounded-in-separate-shootings.html

Not a single arrest so far.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Good God. Advocate Christ Medical Center must have looked like a real-life ER episode last night. A goddamn season finale.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If this was the plot of Grey's Anatomy, I'd say the shark has been jumped.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mostly gang related it seems.

6. YankeeFan

True. Most of the violence has been gang related and has occurred in poor neighborhoods on the city's south & west sides.

But it's getting out of hand. Those neighborhoods are extremely unsafe and deserve better.

There was also an off duty cop murdered in front of his father's house recently, a brutal attack in Bucktown (a nice neighborhood), and a slew of armed robberies last year in Lincoln Park (another upscale neighborhood).

And the city seems more interested in enforcing traffic & parking violations and defending its unconstitutional gun ban than doing anything about it.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Obviously, no one is enforcing the gun ban

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What was the Bucktown incident? A family friend has lived there for a couple of decades. That neighborhood always seemed pretty docile. I don't know much about the South side, but the West side has been a mess for decades. My brother worked as a fireman there for most of his career, and we'd visit the firehouse for Christmas parties on occasion when I was younger. The area always scared me.

9. YankeeFan

Well, that's the rub.

So many of these crimes are committed with guns, that many people are arguing for a relaxation of gun regulations so that people can use them for self defense.

An 80-year-old man recently shot & killed a home intruder.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2320350,home-invasion-suspect-shot-052610.article

Much of the coverage of the case has centered on whether or not he'd be charged with a crime.

In the case of the murdered off-duty cop, his father shot & killed one of the four muggers. He only avoided criminal prosecution because as a vet, he legally owned his gun.

It's the damn wild west in some of these neighborhoods and only the bad guys are armed (in most cases).

There's been a lot of talk about bringing in the National Guard to supplement the cops.

I'm not sure what they should do, but with summer starting, they need to do something -- and quickly.

10. YankeeFan

Guy decides to find someone to mug. Decides to go find some drunk, easy marks in Bucktown.

Girl (friend?) drives. He gets out, hits to girls in the head from behind with baseball bats.

One is critical.

They got caught because they were dumb enough to use the credit cards & cell phone.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/bucktown.beating.arrest.2.1658853.html

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And YF buries the lede about why the thread was started.

12. YankeeFan

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

There's a big gang/crime problem in Chicago. There's been a lot of incidents lately, but when 22 people get shot in 24 hours, I think that's pretty significant -- even newsworthy.

I don't own a gun, don't want one, and am not some pro-gun nut. But I do recognize that most of the crimes here are gun related, so the gun ban is obviously not working.

Read the story I posted about the 80-year-old who defended his home. He, his wife, and great-grandson might all be dead if he wasn't armed.

And, whatever your views are about gun control, it's widely (almost universally) thought that the law will soon be struck down by the Supreme Court (because of the similar D.C. case).

That's why I referred to it as unconstitutional.

And Daley and his crew are already studying ways they can suppress gun ownership once it's overruled rather than simply complying with the expected ruling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.