1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

21 injured in Pennsylvania school stabbing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Apr 9, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If only all the teachers came out of their classrooms with guns drawn and bullets flying, this would have ended so much better.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's the height of intellectual dishonesty to compare knives and guns. I don't think Tony realizes this. I think he's a true believer. But I think YankeeFan knows damned well this is the truth. Do you really want to compare the statistics over the years between rampage shootings and rampage stabbings? Do you think one might be more worthy of our concern than the other? And do you think that one device might have more practical applications than the other? Also: "Blade control"? Tony, name me a school district where knives are permitted. One will do.

Also, I'm fucking glad that this didn't get a lot of attention. And I'm on the record, on this site, perhaps in a standalone thread I started, as saying that news organizations should stop covering these rampages altogether.

I went to CNN.com yesterday afternoon. 1,000-point type, of course. Screaming subheads, too.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I made no comparison between knives and guns.

I only drew a distinction between the (lack of a) response to this incident vs. previous incidents.

I thought we were concerned with keeping our children safe, and were horrified by any school violence. If so, you'd think this event would have brought more of a response than it did.

4. Dick Whitman

We are concerned. And we are much more horrified by school violence involving guns than school violence involving knives.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you're concerned about this, but not as concerned as you are about mass shootings that kill dozens of first graders, you're a hypocrite.

6. YankeeFan

There wasn't less concern shown here -- on SportsJournalists.com -- there was no concern.

Despite wall-to-wall cable coverage, it didn't even merit a thread here for 12 hours, and didn't get a second post for nearly four more hours.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The NRA probably already has a care package in the mail to the kid.

8. Dick Whitman

Can you find me the thread on this incident?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/us/santa-monica-college-shooting.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=US_SRL_20130607&_r=1&

9. MisterCreosote

This is an Internet message board.

10. MisterCreosote

Chicago is the only city in America where people get murdered, because I don't see threads here about any other cities' homicide rates.

11. YankeeFan

I'll take non sequiturs for $100, Alex.

12. MisterCreosote

I only drew a distinction between the (lack of a) response to this incident vs. previous incidents one city vs. all the other cities in America.

I thought we were concerned with keeping our children safe homicide rates in American cities, and were horrified by any school increase or decrease. If so, you'd think this event the high rates in Detroit, St. Louis, and Baltimore would have brought more of a response than it they did.

Draft saved Draft deleted