1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#20Acts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 16, 2012.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Seeing Argo reminded me of how blanketed with yellow ribbons the country was during the hostage crisis. There was jack Americans could do about that, so a retreat into symbolism didn't vitiate work for change. You are right about the distinction here.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

the only relevance about this being christmastime isn't that so many family's have had the christmas season 'ruined' for them THIS YEAR. no matter when this occurred their loss would be 'equally tragic.' when terrible things occur on or around special holidays, however, the calendar is noted because these holidays will NEVER be the samme for these families. sadly, the rest of us will remember that this occurred just before the holiday season but it will not 'ruin' the holiday indefinitely for our families.

the families who lost one of their children, or one of the adults, will have the holiday season forever pock-marked by this. no different for anyone who suffers a loss on a day of celebration for most of the rest of the world. it's part of the collateral damage left forever by these things.

connecting this to the holiday season is just another terrible, unhealable mark left in this monster's wake.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Except that Christmas for everyone involved is ruined for many years to come regardless of when the event occurred. The pain would have been just as unbearable this Christmas for the families had this event happened in July.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

This Christmas, yes. But, eventually, Christmas would have been Christmas, even though everyone was aware of someone missing. That won't happen now.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is this an extension of Dick Whitman's argument that anniversaries mean nothing?

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

It occurs to me that screaming on this message board about the need for gun control (or the lack of need, whatever one's view happens to be) is as useless as a Facebook status.

Those of us who do care should get the hell off this board, and direct our energies toward finding out who to call, and how to influence them.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guarantee you Lugnuts will be leading a real-life charge of some kind.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Don't be one of those people who posts on a message board that people are wasting time. Sometimes, there's time to waste.

What civic activities are we expected to be engaging in on a Sunday night?

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Sure.

But if a Facebook post is useless (and it is), then how is a message board post any better?

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is being one of 25,000 signatures on a petition worthwhile? Is showing up at a rally of 500 worthwhile?

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This thread reminded me that I need to get on the phone tomorrow and call my representatives and make sure they hold the line and don't cave to liberal pinhead emotions on the gun control issue.....

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

#20acts

Draft saved Draft deleted