1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Rock & Roll HOF screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hot and Rickety, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They had a few big play songs. They were never Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Nirvana arguably don’t get a record deal without Soundgarden.

And, the Smashing Pumpkins suck.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

What makes Willie Nelson a rock n roll artist? I was going make the absurdist point that if Nelson gets in, Tony Bennett should be in too, but to my amazement Bennett was inducted in 2001. How about Andy Williams? Steve and Eydie?

dixiehack and Huggy like this.
  4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

On the flip side, I love her Squeeze Box cover on the youtubes.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No Little Feat - critical faves in the 70s - again!

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw Steve and Eydie open for Frank late in his career.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

From 1993 to 2013, she released 8 studio albums (I'm excluding her Christmas album) and all 8 hit the U.S. top ten, with the lowest coming at no. 7. That's a damn strong 20 year run.

On the influence vs. popularity debate for RRHOF credentials, I've always been one to lean to the side of popularity in my opinions on who should be in/out. If over 10 million people have bought her records over two decades, and the majority of people would instantly recognize at least a handful of her songs, I'd say that merits inclusion.

Her second album is probably one of my favorite albums from that decade. Just one enjoyable song after another from start to finish.

But, for those who don't think she belongs, that's fine, if it makes you happy...

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sheryl Crow made pleasant and forgettable music. She’s very pretty and seems like a good person in interviews. But she has a subpar voice and it seems like pretty much all of her best songs were co-written with others.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Once again, no INXS, which is a travesty. The only one of the new or returning nominees I'd vote for is Soundgarden.

Loved The White Stripes, but as was mentioned they really had a short peak. Jack White should be inducted in some way, shape or form, though.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Willie Nelson is more R&R than Missy Elliott

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And Sinatra's voice is tinny and The Fixx suck on stage ...

12. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I agree with that.

Willie is a Hall of Fame artist. The halls that fit his style inducted him long ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted