1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Baker QBR was 24.5. That was the worst in the NFL by a mile.

Even in L.A. he was shit, he had a nice game agaisnt the Broncos on Christmas, and had 11, 12, and 13 completions in his other three starts. He's a JAG that probably wouldn't be in the league if the wasn't a former No. 1 pick.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I like Baker to the Bucs b/c it's a nice return to form for the Bucs, who are going to revert to their mean of historical suckage until Tom Brady Jr. decides to play for them in 30 years.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

With Minshew, besides being cheaper, I think he's still a guy that plays consistent good football. His years starting for awful Jacksonville teams were good. He protects the football. He understands when to take chances and when to take the easy throw. The Bucs have a very good, albeit aging group of receivers. I think he'd put up good numbers there. Obviously we're not talking Pat Mahomes, but he isn't getting benched for P.J. Walker either.

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield is like 25 other NFL quarterbacks in that if he's surrounded with elite talent, he will be elite. He didn't suddenly become shit; he fell out of favor in Cleveland. And he hasn't had great talent around him at any stop yet.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they were great, but he had good talent around him in Cleveland. They were just stupid to have him play through that shoulder injury.

I don't think there are 25 guys who can be elite even with great talent around them. I think Mayfield can be very good with great talent around him, but elite? No.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

He had Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham and a mauling offensive line fer chrissakes….

HE’S 28. People talk about him as if he’s some young prospect who just needs time. If he wasn’t the No. 1 pick, no one on this board would be typing a single sentence about him.

“Did you see that 5-9 quarterback with a 25 QBR last year who ostracized himself from his entire locker room? Dynamic! He’s going places!”

Imagine a five-year period where everyone swore Taylor Heineke actually was an elite quarterback if you paired him with Davante Adams….That’s what we’ve done with Baker Mayfield.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    sgreenwell and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When was he good?

10. HappyCurmudgeon

He was elite in college. In the NFL he's a midget that's mediocre once every five games and shit in the other four.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

Oklahoma

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is 3,563 yards, 26 touchdowns, and eight interceptions in a run-heavy offense and a strong performance in one playoff game victory good?

Draft saved Draft deleted