1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And he gone.

Even the conference isn’t backing this guy.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The conference needs to read "the book" and so do you, Sparty. The player set himself up for this with his demonstration after the previous pitch. This can only happen because of social media and everybody seeing the video.
    One of the first prep games I covered, turned out I knew the ump. The situation was slightly different, he screwed the pitcher on the previous pitch. He told the batter he better be swinging at the next pitch because it's going to be a strike. Ump told me that afterward. He was relieved because this didn't affect the outcome.

3. Spartan Squad

Where in the book does it say because an ump is pissed at a batter, he can call whatever he wants? The book says of the batter argues balls and strikes he’s thrown out of the game not the game is over because I’m calling a pitch a mile out of the zone.

4. Spartan Squad

Sorry I paused to look where in the book it says the zone is defined. I’m seeing the knees to the letters and width of the plate. I’m struggling to see “And whatever the umpire wants if he’s mad.”

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Your friend should’ve been relieved of his duties, and the only “book” that counts is the rule book, which doesn’t cover bullshit like that.

JC, dixiehack and Spartan Squad like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

“Make up” calls happen all the time. Calls you don’t get because you showed up the ref happens. But those are usually borderline, probably shouldn’t have been called that way but you can justify it.

What happened in that game was egregious for two reasons. First, if the batter was left handed, he’d be walking to first because it would have hit him. That wasn’t a couple inches out of the zone. That was feet out of the zone. Second it ended the game. That ump not only punished the batter, he punished the entire team for his vendetta. Not likely MVS was going to make a comeback down multiple runs in the 9th with two outs, but it’s baseball and it’s college baseball. He effectively chose a winner because he allowed a college kid get under his skin. There’s no amount of “code” that excuses it. When even the winning team knew that call was horseshit, it’s beyond the pale. It’s indefensible and the umpire needs to take his punishment.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Whatta ya think about bunting to break up a no-hitter? Whatta ya think about slapping the ball to the other side to beat a shift? Whatta ya think about hitting a batter because your batter got hit the inning before? Whatta ya think about the batter sneaking a peak at the location of the catcher's target? Whatta ya think about bunting up the first base line so you can run over the pitcher who hit your previous batter? etc. etc. etc. That's the book I'm talking about.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And then in game two of the series ...

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Give up. There’s no code for what he did

10. Spartan Squad

So you’re also saying a pitcher should never bev thrown out of a game or a player being suspended for running over a pitcher because it’s the code? JFC that’s what happens when players follow the honor code. They get consequences. This umpire is facing consequences. Beyond the fact what he did ruined the integrity of the game and was without honor, he’s the authority of the game. He’s supposed to keep everything fair. He didn’t. He should be gone. He embarrassed the game.

mateen, Batman and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is a high school game, but it seems to complement the current discussion of Umps Gone Wild so I'll drop it here. Not quite sure how "Fuck this shit" fits into the Code, though.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Greg Street still umping? Reminds me of his awful job in the 2017 CWS, calling guys out on pitches in the opposite batter's box.

Draft saved Draft deleted