1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Charles Rogers
    Reggie Rogers
    Andre Ware
    Joey Harrington
    Big Mike Williams
    Aaron Gibson

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wilkinson played 13 seasons and started 182 games in the NFL. Not a Hall of Famer, but I'm not sure it's fair to drop the bust label on him.

Tighthead and Hermes like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Which one was he? The one from USC that sucked donkey balls? Or the one from Syracuse that was merely pretty average? Or the one from Clemson that plays now for the Chargers that has been good but not quite up to the hype he gets?

All of whom are not to be confused with Roy Williams (the Texas receiver, not the Oklahoma safety who broke more legs than an impatient loan shark) who managed to become a draft bust for two teams.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I didn’t realize how good Clowney was until watching him play in Cleveland last season. Branded a bust, he completely stops opposing running games on his side of the field and can still whip a tackle a handful of times a game in the pass rush. The health is obviously an issue, but he’s way better than given credit for.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In comparison to what was projected of him as overall first pick, he was a major disappointment, which are the words I should have used instead of "bust."

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess that's fair. I just have a lot of respect for guys that can hang around that long and be productive, no matter where they were drafted. There are plenty of guys who have earned the bust label (or even the major disappointment label) and Wilkinson has always seemed like one of those who got it but didn't deserve it.

ETA: Of course, I realize now that a few posts above yours I put those tags on Reggie Bush who had a career arc similar to Wilkinson's. Oh well.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I can't even call a man that played 13 years on the interior line a bust. It's a brutal position, especially back when 75% of the opponents blocking schemes were to take out knees.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

He was being kept together by superglue and duct tape at the end of year. He would spend all week getting enough treatment to have function quads and hamstrings for Sunday. I'm guessing he tried one offseason training session and said "fuck this".

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He has become a very good player, though not what was projected when he was drafted.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Akili Smith.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Whose greatest play is getting trucked by Bo Jackson on MNF.

Edit: upon review, it wasn’t as hard a hit as I remembered. Maybe there was something else from this game?

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted