1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022-23 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 19, 2022.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I know we discussed Herm Edwards (and Scott Frost before him) getting booted already, but this deserves to live beyond a game week thread.

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I was at the UNT Homecoming game years ago when they had the worst loss of an FCS over an FBS (66-7) and Dan McCartney got fired before he even got to the locker room.

garrow and maumann like this.
  3. dixiehack

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So is Hugh Freeze to Auburn a match made in heaven or what?

Liut likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He checks the boxes. SEC head coaching experience. Doesn't have to fake the accent. Plays the religion card often. Winner in the only area where it matters.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Recruits pretty well, can coach a lick, and has proven he can beat Saban.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Who will want the Georgia Tech job?
    Tough gig, but I think it has gotten less arduous in one respect. Looks like they now have several non-STEM, non-Business majors available, including Literature, Media and Communication.

Majors and Degrees

8. dixiehack

Ma Tech isn’t letting anybody off the hook that easy. From the general degree requirements:

1711 is Finite Mathematics and 1712 is Survey of Calculus. But hey, they don’t make you take Drowning 101 anymore!

https://www.gtalumni.org/s/1481/alumni/17/magazine-pages.aspx?sid=1481&gid=21&pgid=21357

maumann likes this.
  9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

They just aren't investing enough into the football program to take advantage of being in such fertile recruiting area. I get the academics are tough, but being located in a major city should help in that area a little. I know a few kids that have went to GT and played ball there and enjoyed the experience, but they never felt like they were having the same college football gameday experience that other programs were having.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You mean so they can enroll dumbshit football players? Then just say so.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Bobby Ross did fine there. That wasn't too many years ago, and I think the calculus requirement was still in place.

I won't try to compare the game-day experience at Georgia Tech with other places (though I can tell you that a rehearsal on what used to be the artificial turf at Bobby Dodd Stadium was a slice of heaven after three days on a mud-choked field in bowl preparation). But I'm not buying that they're somehow suffering.

12. dixiehack

I’ve been to a couple of football games at Grant Field. They have all the usual gameday ops stuff you’d expect; they just don’t have a bunch of fans (and I’m sure it has gotten way worse the last five years or so.) It is the oldest stadium in FBS and if the locker rooms are anything like the rest of the stadium then I can see players being very unhappy indeed. But I’d imagine the biggest complaint is a crowd atmosphere that ranges from dead air to downright hostile when UGA or Clemson comes to town.

Draft saved Draft deleted