1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Rock & Roll HOF induction nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

"the greatest female pure vocalist in the history of rock ‘n’ roll"

this needs some thought, lots in play here.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I mean, Aretha Franklin was a thing.

3. PCLoadLetter

Eh.

She could sing. Powerful voice, great range. I think her voice was pretty devoid of character and there are any number of singers who I think are far better, but she could absolutely sing.

She wrote virtually nothing.

The band could not possibly have been more generic. Neil Gerardo was a pretty good guitarist but that's the extent of it.

(Favorite fact about Neil Gerardo: That's him playing the guitar solo on "Jessie's Girl" because the producer wouldn't let Rick Springfield do it himself.)

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Taking this sideways, I heard "Voices Carry" by Aimee Mann today for the first time in years.

FileNotFound and Tighthead like this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

The third ‘Til Tuesday album is absolutely wonderful and I think I’m one of like 3 people who bought it. It’s “Everything’s Different Now.” She can get pretty mopey but her best stuff is terrific.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw Pat Benatar at Maple Leaf Gardens on the Precious Time tour and it was awful, she didn't have the stage chops in a venue like that and to me there was nothing noteworthy about her band, generic is a good way to put it (unlike Hall and Oates, for instance, who had a terrific band). Saw the Go Gos in 1984 and they were really good, tons of energy.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Go Gos had what, 4 songs? They were a sensation for a very short period but for me are barely worth a nomination.

8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I think of Aretha as Soul/R&B, but that counts as Rock in the HOF context.

Patti Smith and Chrissie Hynde jump to mind, and I think Stevie Nicks would for many people.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Part of me wants to know the name of the man who inspired “Voices Carry” but part of me thinks the song tells me enough about him to fill in the blanks.

Machine Head and I Should Coco like this.
  10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

A name is thrown around at Songmeanings.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Kathy Valentine was scheduled to visit our city last year during a tour promoting her memoir. In anticipation of that visit, I drove to Austin to interview her for a magazine story that would come out shortly before her stop here. We met in a grocery store community room in a high-dollar part of town, and she couldn't have been nicer.

Machine Head likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Being reacted to on YouTube > being inducted into RRHoF?

Draft saved Draft deleted