1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JRoyal, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another vote for Night 1 being better than Night 2. For whatever reason, it was hard to pull away from almost any of the Night 1 matches, but tonight there were a bunch of matches I just didn't feel that invested in.

Some other thoughts:
    • Really liked the main event. Thought they could have taken the opportunity with the triple threat to take the belt off Reigns for a month or two and have him go even fuller heel while he chases -- and an Edge-Bryan mini-feud with a match at Backlash would've been great -- but there are still places they can go with this.
    • I wonder if Riddle lost any teeth from that Brogue Kick?
    • Speaking of which, good for Sheamus. He's been putting on some great matches this year and, if he can't be in the WWE title picture at the moment, at least he's got some sort of reward for it.
    • The Orton-Fiend match was a big ball of WTF? And not necessarily in a good way. I've enjoyed the angle, mostly because of the work Alexa Bliss has put in, but was really hoping they'd put it to bed here. It doesn't appear that'll be the case.
    • It won't happen, especially now with two up-and-comers holding the belts, but if they're going to keep using Natalya they really need to give her a women's championship run at some point. She has the presence of a serious contender, but no real credibility at this point. I had completely forgotten she had won the Smackdown Championship post-Revolution. Even a relatively short one- or two-month run would do wonders for her credibility.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with most of the remarks so far, so to add in my two cents - I'd love to see AEW get their hands on Braun and Bray at this point. Both are in Big Show territory for me, where WWE has stop and started their pushes, and turned them so many times, that I think they need a change of scenery. I think both could be awesome in AEW. Or fuck, send them to NXT for a bit.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The main event match was so good. I kind of hated the finish but Roman’s on fire so its hard to complain. Could’ve done without Uso, thats all.

i really think they booked the entire weekend very well. Like, they didnt do a billion false finishes in every match and it made the falses in the triple threat really meaningful. Every match stayed out of the other matches hair with really really impressive variety through almost 8 hours of rasslin

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

5. JimmyHoward33

Wait Rhea Ripleys a heel?

6. nietsroob17

Definitely, especially compared to Asuka.

7. nietsroob17

So what's going to happen tonight as part of requisite Raw After WrestleMania hijinks?

Becky's return to chase the belt she never lost?

Who's going to get set up as Bobby's first opponent?

8. nietsroob17

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd say I really miss Michael Cole, but, well, here we are.

10. nietsroob17

Oh god, they're actually making the botches part of Nia's character now.

11. nietsroob17

Yay! Now that Retribution is done, Dijakovic can finally show what he can do!

Or he can go from being Ali's heavy to being Lashley's heavy, when Shelton and Cedric were doing just fine.

I know these aren't normal times, but this was atrocious for a post-Mania Raw. The big shockers are the Vikings and two Retribution castoffs?

12. JimmyHoward33

Was AJ and Omos not on Raw or did I miss them somehow?

Draft saved Draft deleted