1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

15 Finalists, 5 get in. My HOF votes:

Get in

Peyton Manning
    Calvin Johnson
    Tony Boselli
    Richard Seymour
    Charles Woodson

Next Year
    Jared Allen

Eventually
    John Lynch
    Clay Matthews
    Sam Mills
    Zach Thomas

Maybe
    Reggie Wayne
    Torry Holt

No
    Ronde Barber
    LeRoy Butler
    Alan Faneca

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Faneca is getting in. I’m surprised he hasn’t yet and I wanted to put him as the 5 I think will make it but they keep putting in others ahead of him despite a resume that says he shouldn’t be waiting this long.

This is his sixth time as a finalist in all six years he's been eligible.

He's a 9-time Pro Bowler.
    He's a six-time first-team All-Pro, all in a seven-year stretch, and two times as second-team All-Pro
    First-team all-decade for the 2000s -- the other first-team guard (Hutchinson) and the two second-teamers (Allen and Shields) are in. The only other o-lineman from the team not in is the second-team center, Olin Kreutz and the only other first-team offense players not in are Brady and Lorenzo Neal at fullback.
    Part of a Super Bowl winner.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Faneca no? Are you a Ravens fan or something? He's going in this year or sometime soon. A lock.

Clay Matthews had a long, great career, but he was never game-changing elite for a linebacker. He'd be the Harold Baines of Canton if he ever made it. And he won't.

I think Ronde Barber will make it eventually. In fact, I think all of these finalists will eventually, with the exception of Butler and Matthews.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I agree that most if not all of these finalists belong in the Hall. Whether they eventually get there and how long it takes are other matters.

I think Mills will be in eventually, but I suspect it's going to take the senior committee to do it.

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Matthews does not belong in the Hall of Fame. Very good player, great guy, good teammate, etc. His best accomplishment is playing a long time. That said, it's his last year of eligibility. So I bet he at least comes close.

Is Calvin Johnson a shoo-in? He put up huge numbers, but who doesn't, these days? He led his team to exactly nothing. Great player, but HOF, especially first-ballot? Wayne and Holt at least have rings, and were similar in production.

Other than Manning, and maybe Woodson, Faneca is the easiest pick here. Comical that he's not in yet. Definitely before Boselli, who played six years. Not sure where the case for him is.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can’t blame Johnson for his teammates and organization.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He did lol

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Did Sanders make it in his first year? Different eras and situations, but I thought he did, and Johnson seems to be a similar case. Maybe he has to wait, because the Football Hall of Fame is kind of weird with its smoky room committee bullshit, but Johnson isn't really close to the line for me, he's well past it.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Aren’t we at the point where we can’t hold the Lions against any player? Megatron is a Hall of Famer.

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I’m not blaming him for anything. I’m just stating his circumstances, which were unfortunate. But as we all know, rings have weight when it comes to voting for things like this, whether they should or not. Being a member of the Lions, he was not in the national spotlight enough for me to even know how good he really was. Reggie Wayne was on TV every week. That also makes a difference.

11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

No, he really didn’t.

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Other than just saying it’s so, what makes it so? From a number standpoint, he didn’t really do anything that outstanding compared to his contemporaries.

Draft saved Draft deleted