1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 7, 2020.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Definitely like Moss. Megatron was the anti-diva WR. No controversy attached to him whatsoever. Carter, Owens and Harrison all got dinged on that. Brown, Bruce and Reed went in when they should.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry, he's a local guy and I respect the hell out of him but he's not HOF in my view (I don't think Eli is either BTW.)

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He will, but it was more to show the tiers of guys per year.

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

How many receptions did he “haul” in that day?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Eli Manning is getting in. People are going to focus on those two playoff runs and the two Super Bowl MVP Awards and put him in even though the rest of the resume shows he doesn't belong.

On a side note, I still say Strahan or Tuck should have been the MVP of Super Bowl XLII. The defense was amazing and Manning's signature play was an over-rated escape from the pass rush and a pass that was a prayer thrown into coverage.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Belichick has indicated he thought Strahan was the dominant Giant in that game.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He and Tuck were both fantastic in that game. Manning didn't do that much other than the prayer to Tyree and the very easy touchdown pass to Burress, who was wide open.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Voters had their meeting last week instead of the day before the Super Bowl, for whatever reason, despite the fact they are waiting until the day before to announce. Peter King had the discussion times in his column this week:

Length of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection meeting—on Zoom this year, last Tuesday—for the 48 selectors picking the class of 2021:

8 hours, 43 minutes

Length of discussion for the 18 candidates for selection:

^Calvin Johnson: 39 minutes, 28 seconds
    John Lynch: 36:55
    Tony Boselli: 31:50
    Bill Nunn: 31:29
    Drew Pearson: 28:28
    Tom Flores: 27:45
    Reggie Wayne: 25:13
    Sam Mills: 20:57
    Clay Matthews Jr.: 20:11
    LeRoy Butler: 17:44
    Charles Woodson: 16:37
    Zach Thomas: 15:52
    Alan Faneca: 13:08
    Richard Seymour: 12:29
    Torry Holt: 11:10
    Ronde Barber: 8:08
    Jared Allen: 7:44
    Peyton Manning: 0:13

^ Johnson’s discussion included about 14 minutes of a couple of tangential topics. It is more accurate to say his discussion lasted about 25 minutes.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I zone out of most zoom meetings in 10 minutes or less. I think I would have been riveted into this for all 8 hours and 43 minutes.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Manning 13 seconds. Surprised it took that long. Wonder what the record is?

11. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Isn't the story that his presenter simply said the name "Reggie White" and they moved on to the next one?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd heard that about some player but couldn't remember which one.

Draft saved Draft deleted