1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Caps trading Panik, Vrana, a first and a second to Detroit for Anthony Mantha. That is ... interesting.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yzerman doing a great job.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I think it’s excellent
    Mantha’s big, talented and lazy
    An ultimate tease
    He’s a guy everybody thinks they can fix
    Stevie Y needed to do something to shake up a losing team and got two players and two picks in the process
    Of course, if he floats in DC I expect Ovi to kick his ass

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm going to need @Cosmo to tell me how to feel about that.

I like Vrana ...

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who cares about a losing team right now, it’s all about down the road. Getting 2 picks and Vrana is nice deal

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Vrana is going to be a free agent. Who knows what he is thinking, but Washington apparently thought it couldn't lock him up, so will a bad team (no offense to any Detroit fans) be able to? From Washington's point of view, they trade in Vrana's free agency for Mantha locked up -- and Mantha does have some nice potential upside. Panik was thrown in to make it work with the cap. From Detroit's point of view, they basically traded Mantha for the picks. It seems like a fair deal all around. It will be good for the Caps next year, if they were going to lose Vrana, but I don't think it makes them better for the playoffs this year.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was really curious about this one. I believe Mantha was the player the color guy for the Carolina Hurricanes, Tripp Tracy, was blasting as basically a living heart donor during the Red Wings-Hurricanes broadcast Saturday night. In so many words, Tracy believes he has all the skill and talent in the world, but is lazy and not committed. For Tracy to say that is a mouthful as he is not usually that direct.

Steve Yzerman is clearly trying to speed up the process with a far-from-impressive roster. Given what he built in Tampa, I'm betting he gets it done faster than any of us think.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Except he is terrible at hockey.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He’s a RFA not UFA.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@dixiehack sometimes I think Poile's mantra is "Hold my beer!"