1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LOL! I can only imagine whom Elliotte is referring to.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Tampa gives up a 1 and 3 to Columbus for D David Savard but because of salary cap issues the deal is routed through Detroit, which gets a fourth round pick for picking up some of Savard’s salary
    Deal is listed on TSN as longtime AHL defenseman Brian Lashoff for a 1 and 3, Savard for a 4
    Lashoff gets to stay in Grand Rapids

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Lots of people on Twitter finding this a little too neighbourly by Yzerman.

4. Jake from State Farm

Columbus gets its second No 1 in two days
    Foligno to Leafs for 1 and two 4s
    One of the 4s to San Jose for Stefan Noesen and cap space

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  5. Jake from State Farm

He bought a fourth-round pick for about $1M
    NBA teams have been buying draft picks for years

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The old boy NHL media don’t understand this and think it’s cap circumvention.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The NHL salary cap is a joke, period. Forced parity.

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

So the Bruins trade away the No. 2 overall pick in the draft and end up acquiring the No. 1 overall pick.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have to watch Boston b/c they are who the Rangers have to catch. My only hope is that Taylor Hall keeps playing the way he was in Buffalo and that the change of scenary and playing with David Krejci (what I am assuming is going to happen), doesn't get Hall going. I am not sure how much Curtis Lazar really adds to their bottom 6. But that wasn't much of a price for Boston to pay, so I am sure they are really happy with that trade.

Taylor Hall has now been on four teams in the last three years, and five teams total when you include Edmonton. A guy with his speed and skill. ... the fact that he's a hot potato says something.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I’ve long wondered if Taylor Hall really gives a damn. Not saying he doesn’t, but I’ve always just wondered.

This may sound stupid, but it goes back to something he tweeted when he was still in Edmonton, and they had just drafted McDavid. Something like “Welcome to Edmonton, Connor. Please don’t mess up what we’ve got going here.” Keep in mind they’d by this time picked first overall four times in six years, and this was coming from the leader of the team. If I was a GM reading that I’d have been a bit miffed.

Then after the Devils won the Hughes lottery, he tweeted/joked how often he’d been on teams that won it. Again, if that were most guys I imagine they’d be pissed/embarrassed, but Hall seemed fine with it.

Again, could be reading too much into two tweets, but still.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We've quickly hit the stretch run in this weird little season. The playoff picture is looking clearer as we head into the final 14 games or so.

CENTRAL
    Locks -- Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida
    Bubble -- Nashville, Chicago, Dallas ... Stars are six points back of fourth but they have three games in hand. Should be a good tussle for that last spot.

EAST
    Locks -- Washington, Islanders, Pittsburgh
    Bubble -- Boston, Rangers, Flyers ... Bruins got their asses properly kicked last night by the Caps but they still have two games in hand on their pursuers and are four points ahead of both. I'd be stunned if it wasn't the Bruins grabbing the final spot.

NORTH
    Locks -- Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton
    Bubble -- Montreal, Calgary ... This is a courtesy nod to the Flames, but they're probably toast. Six points back of fourth place and Montreal has three games in hand. It would take a hell of a run to grab fourth.

WEST
    Locks -- Colorado, Vegas, Minnesota
    Bubble -- St. Louis, Arizona, San Jose, Los Angeles ... Another good down the stretch playoff push. Ducks are really the only team out of it.

For semi seeding purposes, Colorado would be No. 1 right now, followed by Toronto, Carolina and Washington (Hurricanes and Caps tied on points but Canes have a couple of games in hand.)

12. Jake from State Farm

Red Wings trade Anthony Mantha to Capitals for 1, 2 and Fs Richard Panik and Jakub Vrana
    The 2 is in 2022

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted