1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lots of thoughts as the Whalercanes erase an early two-goal lead to beat Tampa Bay 4-3 in a game that had a playoff feel ... lots of scuffles, more chippy stuff than a Frito-Lay factory and a second period that changed the game.

Also saw another Storm Surge ... and another tribute to front-line works. Still a Bunch of Jerks, eh Grapes?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

North Dakota and Minnesota Duluth are headed into the fifth overtime in the NCAA tournament on ESPNU.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Never mind. Minnesota Duluth just won it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Back in the days when we worked in an office, we had a jar in the office to which the writers made contributions when their games went into overtime or if they mentioned that word in the office. As I wait for the final version of this story to go in, I am checking into CDs we can put our UMD beat writer's contribution into.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I watched the last three OTs. Tough for UND to lose a game like that on a soft goal, right through the fiver, just after hitting a post at the other end. The Sioux dominated possession but just never seemed to shoot, while the UMD guy followed the rule of Gretzky and won the game.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The thing about the game-winner was it came from a kid off the fourth line, which basically didn't play in the third period or each of the first two or three overtimes. I don't have ESPNU, but the radio broadcast said North Dakota was rolling four. I doubt that was a tactical decision, but Mylymok was probably exactly the guy who was gonna score that goal because he actually had legs.

Four Frozen Four runs in a row. Amazing.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mylymok would be one heck of a name in College Hockey Hangman or Wheel of Fortune.

Defensemen were in position on the shot, so he didn't outskate anyone. Simple wrister, through the defensemen's skates and the goalie just whiffed it. UND hit a crossbar, a post and had a shot bounce behind the goalie and land on the crossbar and mesh during the OTs. And UMD had a goal called back on a video-review offside in the first OT.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ovechkin's hot streak now has him 170 goals behind Gretzky. I really hope he gives it a shot.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's a bummer that during his career he's had a lockout shortened season and two pandemic shortened seasons, costing him 72 regular-season games. Also, holy hell did the Caps try to shit that one away yesterday.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The lull in the second period for the Rangers when they had their letdown was brutal. It's frustrating to watch as a fan, because they can play with a team like Washington, but you can see such a clear difference in the overall mental toughness of each team. It was evident in the back to backs they played earlier in the month. In the first game, the Rangers matched the intensity and won the dogfight for more than 3/4 of the game, and it's really heartening. ... and then Ovechkin singlehandedly decided that he was going to take the game and got two un-Ovechkin types of goals to just will Washington to a win. The heartening thing was that the next day, the Rangers didn't let that happen again, even though they had the lead and Ovechkin scored a late goal to make you wonder if it was going to be deja vu all over again. Then yesterday, felt like another regression (and of course it was when Quinn returned!). The ups and downs are so difficult. The intensity was there through the first half of the game yesterday, and then they just let down and took a full step backward. It was nice that they made it interesting with the too little, too late ending, but they have done that a lot this season and the late push doesn't get you points.

It's difficult not to respect the way the Caps just find ways to win. The Rangers are building a pretty talented team, but the talent is only part of what you need to succeed in that league. I do think experience is an ingredient that is necessary for the mentality I think Washington has and that the Rangers don't, so hopefully it will come.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Plus the 04-05 season, which I imagine he would have played in.

Cosmo likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm still convinced he's going to get it and my son and I pledge to be there. We're already saving some money and our hope is it happens on a Vancouver-Seattle swing. Knowing my luck, it will be Philly-Newark but whatever. So long as he gets it.

I have faith but yeah, he's lost a lot of games for reasons out of his control.

Our plan is to hit every game once he's within three goals. If we're in your city, you're buying us dinner because we may be broke.

HanSenSE, misterbc, dixiehack and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted